Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2010 with gran mal

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with...

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2010 with gran mal seizures. I just moved back fro Florida about 6 months ago and was raking keppra 500 mg bid. I ran out of African late August and took donate pen for sleep. I usually work different shifts so I have a hard time with sleep. The past three months , my insomnia is out of control and I have had 7 seizures. I sleep maybe 2 hours every 4 to 5 days than end up with a seizure. Than I have so much anxiety, it just increases. After my seizure I usually vomit for 3 to 4 days and I am drained. I have been in we at least 3 times. I went to poll county services to get some inpatient services because I am so depressed I don't know what to do. I had a 4 hour assessment a month ago but was reused treatment because if my epilepsy. I am so desperate I don't know what to do. I saw a neurologist last week in st paul and he put me on lamictal which all I did was throw up, my face became swollen and started getting a slight rash. The doctor said that should happen yet because I wasn't on them long enough. I contacted mn and wi epilepsy society for help but just got a list of another set of neurologists. At this time, I don't want to die but I don't want to live like this. I have to work and have been unable to for almost three months. I am at my wits end and at a loss. Can you help me figure out what to do. Can't take this anymore.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Vicki

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Very sensitive to medications. Had been on lexapro. Lamictal. Allergy to cortisone, benadryl and erythromycin.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
Taking keppra 500 mg bid. Was taking ativan 0.5 mg prn bid. Apparently they don't prescribe that here and I'm guessing this has really Been affecting my sleep. I would think they could at least taper this or put me on something else to counteract. I guess I can understand why people turn to the streets to get help some your own physician doesn't seem to care what happens to you.
Are you going to answer my question.
Don't understand why this is taking so long. Ive told you everything I can. What is the problem.
Forget it. This is the same crap I get when I see someone. What a damn shame. You need help but no one again seems to care
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/9/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I am not able to take lamictal. My face becomes swollen and had started getting red rash on chest. The neurologist I saw said most people are on it for quite awhile be4 this happens. Obviously not always true. I am still in keppra, but doesn't seem to keep me from having gran mal seizures. My insomnia has increased as well as my anxiety. How is this helping. I'm at my wits end with feeling so crappy. I don't want to die but I sure don't want to live like this. I have been going to massage, chiropractic and acupuncture. I eat all organic, mostly vegetables with chicken or turkey, and only berries for fruit. I eat walnuts, almonds and some seeds. I take ptobioticd and no dairy except for no sugar yogurt. Also take other supplements for good oils. What us the answer. I don't sleep sometimes for 3 2 4 days at a time. This causes anxiety and than I end up having seizures. Does anyone have an answer or do I just have to leave this earth. I am very desperate.

I would ask about vimpat

it is a newer drug with low side effect profile

and it works very well for seizures

is this helpful?