Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Sometimes I get a weird sensation that is very difficult to…

Customer Question
Sometimes I get a weird...
Sometimes I get a weird sensation that is very difficult to describe. It happens in small clusters maybe once every 6 or 7 years but it is overwhelming when it hits. Due to the rarity of its occurrence and the difficulty I have explaining it I have not seen a doctor about it, but I am very curious what it could be.One time it came on while I was standing in the check out line. I could recognize it was coming on. It begins feeling almost like pin pricks on the top of my head and on my back along my shoulder blades and spine. I cant physically map out where any specific point of sensation is at, just the general area, but at the same time the feeling is very sharp pin like. It starts as just one pin, and then over the span of about a minute it grows into several (seemingly countless) points.But that is only one part of the sensation "event". The most difficult part to endure is that I get flooded with a form of stress, it's almost like a fight or flight feeling. In line at the check out I recall lifting my hat and running my hand over my head and applying strong pressure. I also recall a very strong building/increasing feeling of urgency to get outside. Maybe due to the increasing feeling of loss of control or feeling there was no end in sight of the increasingly intense feeling if overwhelmness. It took unfathomable strength and will power to stand there and wait for the cashier to ring me up. I don't know if I even waited for my change. I just left as soon as I could. Once I got outside I could breathe a little and it went away by the time I got to my car.That is how the last 3 or so occurrences have felt. The first one was when I was about 12 and I recall it was only across my back. It came on all of a sudden. It was at night when I had gotten in bed and the sharp pin feelings had me in tears. I think mostly due to the fear of not knowing why it was happening, what it was, or when it would stop. I remember screaming and my mom came in and put lotion on my back. The lotion didn't seem to be relieving but the hand across my back seemed to help.Any idea what this could be? What may cause this and if this is indicative of an UI underlying problem?Thank you.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/8/2018
Neurologist: DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor replied 3 months ago
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about your current problem

It seems that your symptoms are most likely due to stress or anxiety

Panic disorder can cause such weird symptoms and must be considered

Your symptoms does not suggest an organic problem and it seems that you need to get help from a psychiatrist

These symptoms can be managed effectively with psychological counselling and if required then drugs

You should seek opinion from a psychiatrist to and hopefully it will be helpful

I am available to assist you any further till you are satisfied that you have received an excellent response

If satisfied please take a while to rate my service

Regards

No, i am certain it is not panic attacks or anxiety. It is a very different sensation. When people have so called epileptic episodes do they ever describe an unpleasant feeling or sensation that they recognize with the onset of the episode?

Yes that unpleasant feeling before a convulsion or fit is called aura after which an episode of fits occur

In your case these are not followed by an attack of epilepsy so its unlikely to be an aura

Regards

It is my understanding that an epileptic episode is basically a misfiring within the brain and nervous system. A convulsive “fit” is not necessarily required for an epileptic event or episode to occur.But lets say its not epilepsy, what else could this possibly be? I need some direction so that I can continue my own research on this. It is not the type of events that i described that concern me, but the underlying cause.

Feeling like yours can be seem with anemia and vitamin B12 deficiency

Sometime a thyroid disorder can be responsible for such symptoms

Vitamin D deficiency can also cause such type of symptoms

These can be checked to rule out any of these problems

Regards

DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor