Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My doctor told me I had a little fluid in my middle ear as I…

Customer Question
My doctor told me I...
My doctor told me I had a little fluid in my middle ear as I currently have a mild cold. I tried the neti-pot and when I blew my house my ear hurt a lot. Now, every time I burp my ear hurts. It's like a stabbing pain - it's been about 24 hours. Could there be more fluid in my ear now? Or is this just like a bruise from blowing too hard after the neti pot?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/7/2018
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 1 month ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

It sounds like you've got Eustachian tube dysfunction--the tube that normalizes the pressure across you eardrum is blocked

Nothing too serious but for now you need to stop the NetiPot treatment and take either some benadryl or Claritin and some ibuprofen

If this doesn't clear in two days have your doctor take another look at your ear to see if you might need a course of antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok would this naturally subside in the perfect case? The extra fluid in the ear causing the pressure, that it?

Part of it is the fluid in your ear

But even without any treatment this should be gone in a day or two

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor