Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I fell stepping onto a curbing ,a year ago Jan 27th.I hit my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I fell stepping...
Second opinion] I fell stepping onto a curbing ,a year ago Jan 27th.I hit my head on a wheel spokeso hard i was knocked out,I was bleeding profusely, The hospital sid i had a severe ppsterior cervical sprain,,.and fixed my head!! I lost my sence of smell and i would like to know if it will ever return.,I slso broke my big toe ,the plate just behind my toe was held on by 2 tendons,my pelvis broke onthe left side upper and lower bone...I had no numbness beforr the fall but i have ben severely numb in both legs since a Dr.gave me a shot in my tailbone.Could this shot have caused this numbness?I I have a neuroma in left foot,,and tendonitis. I am attending therapy 2 times a week exercising, needled with electric stimulation and putting my feet on an ice machine,I amon a walker still and I am wondering if amitriptyline could help with my severe nerve painor should i see a nuerologist? I am at my wits end and I have not had a proper answer from anyone why my bone broke by stepping onto a. Curb,and i am still on a walker with severe numbnessand severe stabbing pains. in my left shins and foot. If I walk or stand onthe walker to long my ankel swells and hurts severely.I cant seem to get any proper answers about any of this?????.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/8/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. The expert to whom this question was initially addressed is not available now and the company has made this question available for other experts too, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I can fully understand what you have been going through, it must be very difficult and frustrating and a very miserable condition for you since this injury and injection treatment etc.

I have tried to answer your questions one by one below here;

1) I lost my sense of smell and i would like to know if it will ever return?

It appears there is irritation or injury to the nerve carrying the smell sensation from the nose to the brain. Or alternatively there may have been injuries to the brain centers controlling the smell sensation. Our clinical experience shows the smell sensation eventually comes back, it may take time though, but it is expected to come back. The duration it may take before one will regain his sense of smell vary from individual to individual and it may take up to couple of years too after the injury but our clinical experience shows the sense of smell is expected to return. However if it does not return then you may try a special treatment called as stem cell treatment and I have explained it in more detail below later.

2) I also broke my big toe ,the plate just behind my toe was held on by 2 tendons,my pelvis broke onthe left side upper and lower bone...I had no numbness beforr the fall but i have ben severely numb in both legs since a Dr.gave me a shot in my tailbone.Could this shot have caused this numbness?

Yes, it is possible; the injection may have caused damage or irritation to nerves supplying the legs.

3) I I have a neuroma in left foot,,and tendonitis. I am attending therapy 2 times a week exercising, needled with electric stimulation and putting my feet on an ice machine,I amon a walker still and I am wondering if amitriptyline could help with my severe nerve pain?

Yes, amitriptyline can be a good choice for controlling the severe nerve-pain and numbness etc. In fact amitriptyline is among the most commonly used nerve pain pills for the types of symptoms you have been having. There are few other nerve-pain pill options too such as Duloxetine, Gabapentin, Pregabalin etc – if you have not tried these already then these are few additional options to consider, and if you have already tried the other then please disregard the other nerve-pain pills I have mentioned just above, and to your question – yes amitriptyline is certainly an excellent choice to control very severe nerve-pain and numbness etc, so if you have not already tried it then please consider trying it now. The dose usually started as 10 mg per day, then it can be slowly optimized and most of the patients respond to a dose from 25 mg to 100 mg per day. If necessary one may gradually optimize the dose up to around 150 mg per day.

4) or should i see a neurologist?

Yes, in addition to trying the nerve-pain pill amitriptyline you may also try to see a neurologist and a neurologist can further help you with clarifying on your diagnosis of various types of neurological injuries or damages you have sustained and also assist you with your treatments.

5) I am at my wits end and I have not had a proper answer from anyone why my bone broke by stepping onto a. Curb,and i am still on a walker with severe numbnessand severe stabbing pains. in my left shins and foot. If I walk or stand onthe walker to long my ankel swells and hurts severely.I cant seem to get any proper answers about any of this?????.

Please see, it is now highly recommended to see a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by undergoing certain relevant neurological investigations such as brain and spine scans, if the scans had been done before then you need now follow up scans to check the progress of recovery, you also need a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test to check the health and functioning of your nerves and muscles and these neurological tests will provide enormous information on your various neurological injuries that you have sustained during this unfortunate incident of injury on January 27th, and subsequent injection related nerve damages etc and assist with proper diagnosis and treatments. And you will also require certain bone related investigations too such as bone densitometry to find the cause for the bone injuries you have sustained and their current status and then treated appropriately.

In addition to the nerve pain pill mentioned above, you may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine form)

Vitamin D, C, E

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the various bothersome symptoms you have been having, and also assist you with faster recovery too.

Now coming to the stem cell treatments;

If none of the above measures help and the symptoms and deficits such as loss of sense of smell etc continue to persist then experimental treatments such as Stem-cell treatment etc may need to be considered.

There is already some evidence to show stem-cell treatments too can help in improving the various types of neurological injuries or damage you have been having, and I will discuss about this mode of therapeutic intervention below here in more detail.

Stem-cell treatment appears a groundbreaking and revolutionary treatment and it has the potential to even cure many neurological conditions including brain injuries, peripheral nerve injuries, cranial nerve injuries such as injury to the nerve of smell etc, but it is still undergoing clinical trials and is not made available for clinical practice yet (but it has reached later stages of clinical trials, so hopes are there it will be made available in the near future). There are some companies that have already been offering stem-cell treatments to patients unofficially, and they have been claiming they have found the stem-cell treatment can cure or significantly help with many neurological conditions. But please see stem-cell treatment is not yet approved by any official agencies such as FDA that clears new drugs or new treatments for using in the clinical practice - so we cannot officially recommend this treatment yet for our patients. But if all other therapeutic interventions fail to help then at that moment stem-cell treatment may need to be considered, because among all the currently available treatments stem-cell treatment is considered as the most promising & most definitive treatment for curing or significantly helping with neurological damage such as the ones you have been having related to loss of smell sensation, peripheral nerve injuries, very severe nerve pain, numbness, bone injuries etc, and there is a hope it will be made available in the near future once official agencies such as FDA clears it for routine use in clinical practice.

But if you want to explore this mode of therapeutic intervention before stem-cell treatments are officially made available then you please discuss this treatment option with your Primary care dr, or a Neurologist, or you may even directly contact the agencies that offer this treatments in and around your place.

Below I will post few web links where you can get more information on this mode of treatment and also these centres can assist you with administering this treatment too (if you decide to try this treatment);

http://usstemcellclinic.com/neurological/

https://nsistemcell.com/stem-cell-therapy-neurological-conditions/

https://stemcellofamerica.com/

https://stemgenex.com/

Once again, please not to lose hopes, medical science has been advancing very rapidly and more & more newer and superior treatments have been becoming available on frequent basis nowadays, stem cell treatment is one such highly promising treatment to help with various nervous system & bone injuries or damage such as the ones you have been having and this is a treatment you may consider in undergoing, so please discuss this mode of therapeutic intervention with your doctors or contact the company directly. This treatment has the potential to help you tremendously to recover from all these injuries & symptoms that have been ruining your life, so you may strongly consider exploring this mode of therapeutic intervention to help you. And in the meantime please consider the various other treatment options I have mentioned earlier above including the nerve pain pill amitriptyline and nutritional supplements etc and these too can help with relief from these torturesome, disabling & miserable neurological symptoms you have been burdened with, as well as help with you with faster recovery too.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I hope I am not bothering you, I am trying following up on your health issues, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you had expressed earlier above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)