Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have been experiencing a squeezing sensation and

Customer Question
Hello. I have been...

Hello. I have been experiencing a squeezing sensation and paresthesia for about two weeks now. I was treated with steroids and the symptoms went away. Meanwhile I am still waiting to get an appointment with a neurologist. The symptoms came back this weekend and I had some leftover steroids that I took. The symptoms abated again. I had an MRI which showed a lesion at T7 that they said was most likely a hemangioma. They were totally going to dismiss it but I had a copy of the radiology report. The reason I requested it is because I have intractable pain exactly in that location. I have been asking for a scan for years. They finally ordered one after failed physical therapy. The area has been swollen and inflamed for years. I go for weekly massages but the adhesions in that area just keep getting worse. I feel like no one in my medical community is taking this seriously but I am very concerned. I am a nurse, so I have some idea of what might be going on. My question is what treatment should I be pushing for or testing.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Subscapular area on the right side of my back has been swollen and inflamed for about two years. I have been managing it with Over the counter patches. It has become unmanageable and no these new symptoms definitely seem to be telling me that things have gotten out of control. Everything just feels very inflamed. I also have a rash on my face and swollen lips which I think is related to the inflammation that my body is trying to fight.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a few episodes of syncope or near syncope in the last few years. I also had some transient vision loss in my right eye during pregnancy that lasted a few minutes. This was in 2016

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/7/2018
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have pain in your spine.

I am glad the steroids which help your pain

steroids often can help decrease swelling and pressure on nerves in the spine

the best scan to look at the spine is a closed 3.0 tesla MRI scan with IV contrast of the thoracic spine.

MRI scans do a much better job of seeing the nerves and disks and bones compared to CT scans or xrays.

it sounds like you most likely have had a prior MRI scan before

closed MRI scanners give better images than open MRI scanners.

3.0 tesla magnets are stronger than typical 1.5 tesla MRI scanners and can give more detail

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Insurance denied the mri with contrast so they ordered a bone scan. I’m frustrated because I’m certain whatever is at T7 is the culprit. Will a bone scan show if a benign mass is causing inflammation?

bone scan is a nuclear medicine study and is very very blurry and not very clear

it is good to look for areas of severe bone inflammation and infection

but doesn't see the details of the nerves or disks.

you would have been better getting a thoracic spine CT scan

but an MRI scan is still the best.

if your pain persists, your doctors may have to request the MRI scan again and appeal the insurance company decision.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about bloodwork? Is there anything I should specifically request?

you can ask for ESR erythrocyte sedimentation rate which can sometimes be elevated when you have inflammation in your body

but it sounds like your pain is possibly due to a pinched nerve or slipped disk

which are mechanical issues

and the best way to test for mechanical issues in the spine is with an MRI scan of the thoracic spine.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The MRI shows a small dissection at T3 T4, and a 9mm hemangioma on the posterior vertebral body at t7. There is no evidence of any other problems. The symptoms I’m having are a squeezing sensation and numbness. It feels like there is a band around my chest and my upper arms. I have numbness that comes and goes in my back and abdomen. When I have the squeezing sensation I feel a lot of pressure in my feet and legs. They treated me with steroids and my symptoms got a lot better, but now that I’m off the steroids my symptoms are back. I am waiting for an appointment with the neurologist in two weeks to rule out MS. But it is my understanding that if I had MS that was causing this I would have a lesion on my spine, and there is no evidence of that on the MRI. I am very frustrated trying to get somebody that knows about this. I have read about symptomatic hemangiomas and think that that is a possibility but all of the doctors have dismissed that. I would hope that if there was any possibility this is a malignancy they could see that on the MRI. The radiology report does not even suggest that. So, it appears that it is a benign hemangioma. My goal is to find a doctor that knows why I am having the symptoms and how to treat it. So far I have been to my primary, a neurosurgeon PA who dismissed any possibility of the T7 lesion causing this, and a spine and sports medicine Doctor Who did nerve conduction test that showed nonspecific abnormalities. He referred me to pain management for a steroid injection but the wait to see them is three months. I am doing this in an act of desperation because I am honestly out of ideas. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I am worried that if I wait two weeks to see a neurologist that there will be more damage to my nervous system. I have developed a tremor in the last month as well.

the MRI scan would have seen MS plaques in your spine

you need an MRI scan of your brain which can show MS plaques if you have MS.

yes, the MRI scan of the spine would be able to pick up malignancy.

how old are you?

are you male or female?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
39, female

it would be unlikely that you have MS

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD