Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have pain to my left leg that comes on with rest but when…

Customer Question
I have pain to...

I have pain to my left leg that comes on with rest but when i walk i feel my left leg asleep like its numb. One other symptom is painful muscle cramp that doesnt go away

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

Worse when i try to rest in bed. Better when i put weight on it but it still feels numb

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS,HTN. Recently had an xray that showed early signs of arthritis to the hip. No blood clots were detected. But even with pain meds and steroids it doesnt help my pain

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/6/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is a problem with the lower back or the lumbar spine. inflammation of the spine or a prolapsed disc can cause pain which can even worsen at rest in some situations. in fact, spinal stenosis which is a condition in which the spinal canal is narrowed. This can cause pain which worsens on rest and can also cause the numbness in the leg. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination and also with the help of an x-ray of the lumbar spine. However, at the same time, i would also get an MRI of the lumbar spine done. Once diagnosed it can be treated with the hep of various methods. the first one would be with the help of anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice daily but usually, steroid injections may be necessary along with physiotherapy. In severe conditions, surgery may be required.

Another cause of this could be associated with compression of the nerves in the hip of even lower down in the leg. This would be diagnosed with the help of simple NCS/EMG tests and then can be treated with the help of surgery to relieve the condition.

I would suggest that you first get the X-rays did which would usually diagnose the problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist