Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have an intense lower back pain that woke me up and has…

Customer Question
I have an intense lower...
I have an intense lower back pain that woke me up and has gotten worse over the past few hours. I might have injured it at the gym but it was barely noticeable. I cannot move and have been lying on the ground in the same position for 5 hours. My legs are starting to hurt as well and I can’t even lift my neck without my back hurting. Should I call an ambulance? Or should I wait it out and try to sleep
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/5/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Rachel, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of very intense lower back pain and you have inquired whether calling ambulance is necessary or is it okay to just wait it out. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Based on the description you have provided the pain is excruciating and even movements are worsening the pain so it must be extremely intense pain. And I see now the legs are getting involved too.

With this type of extremely severe pain, which appears spreading to other regions it is better to call the ambulance rather than just waiting it out

There are instances a muscle strain or a sprain of ligament or tendon etc did not cause lot of pain initially - but after a gap of time dramatically worsened causing disabling pain like this

So although this pain is torturesome but this may not automatically indicate this is due to some serious underlying issue, however it is still better to get this checked asap

We need to make sure nothing else is going on internally that may be causing this type of dramatic precipitation of this much intense pain

Once again to your main question, please see severity of the pain does not always correlate with severity of underlying illness that is causing the pain, so in spite of this pain being excruciating in nature but this still may be secondary to some minor issue but without a proper clinical examination and investigation there is no easy of telling whether this is something benign or not, so it is better if you call the ambulance and try to visit the nearest er or urgent case so that you can receive a thorough clinical examination and investigations as necessary and then treated appropriately - so calling ambulance is the right thing to do now.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD