Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Feeling dizzy + feel like fainting. Started 5-6 days, felt…

Customer Question
Feeling dizzy + feel like...
Feeling dizzy + feel like fainting. Started 5-6 days, felt like losing balance/control when walking & talking. Now, I feel a bit of tingling on my tongue and losing balance 24/7. I took dramamine, phosporous, and other anti-dizziness/motion sickness meds but nothing is helping. My vision is quite impaired - not that I cannot see but flashes of lights (atypical to migraine pre-symptoms) then vision fades a bit before feeling like fainting. What's wrong with me and whom should I see? FYI, I am lyrica (for fibro) & colestipol (for cholesterol + IBS).
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/4/2018
Neurologist: KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

I would recommend seeing a primary care doctor and possibly also a neurologist for these symptoms. If the symptoms are very severe or you will not be able to see a general physician and/or neurologist in the next several days, then you should consider going to the Emergency Room, as passing out can be quite serious, and to help figure out what is causing your imbalance and tingling symptoms. An ER doc will be able to start the evaluation and might possibly come up with some helpful answers. It will be important to have a doctor check your blood pressure lying and standing as well as checking your pulse, but you may end up needing more workup for the fainting symptom (possible causes can be from dehydration, structural heart issues, heart rhythm problems, or a problem with the nervous system that causes blood pressure to drop when standing).

You also might possibly end up needing to have a Brain MRI scan for the imbalance and tingling tongue symptoms, but first a very good history and exam will be necessary. There are many different causes for imbalance, which is why the exam by a neurologist may be helpful. In some cases, low blood pressure could be a cause for imbalance and possibly tingling symptoms as well, so a general doctor would be a good starting point to figure out the fainting symptom which may be tied into the other symptoms.

Therefore, please make sure to see a doctor promptly about your symptoms, perhaps an ER doctor, unless you can see a primary doctor and possibly neurologist in the next several days. I don't feel you should wait very long to get evaluated, to prevent any worsening in your symptoms and to help figure out what is going on.

Best wishes. I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if there are more questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly!