Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I do have a question I am an ex hockey player and had to…

Customer Question
Hi! Yes I do...

Hi! Yes I do have a question I am an ex hockey player and had to retire due to concussion issues. For the most part my headaches have diminished and my cognitive stuff seems to be ok, but I keep getting a feeling of having a very tight and tense skull cap and scalp I feel lightheaded and my eye balls hurt sometimes

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I don't know if that's still post concussion stuff I am dealing with or a different issue nasusea yes and its daily its not a debilitating headache or anything like that, but I can tell its a different feeling almost like a band around my head

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just a history of concussions from hockey Have had post concussion syndrome for 2 years and 2 months now and have done numerous treatments such as neurofeedback, some hyberbaric oxygen therapy, vestibuolo ocular therapy and I have gotten better but still have things bothering me

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Neurologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today. I am a sports medicine physician and have experience dealing with sports-related concussions.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
When was the last time you were evaluated for your symptoms and when was the last time you received any of those treatments that you listed?
I did hyperbaric oxygen treatment like 2-3 weeks ago and did 20 of 40 protocols. I have a tight skull cap which creates some pressure and tension. I also feel lightheaded and unstable.
When was the last time you had vestibule-ocular therapy and worked with a Physical Therapist?
I haven’t done vestibular treatment in about a year because my balance is very good on all the tests. Which is weird because I am lightheaded and feel unstable but I’m not. My neurologist said it could be a nervous system thing after my concussions and I did some graded exercise with a physical therapist about 7 months ago for about 5 sessions and then went on a regimen she put me on. I hadn’t been feeling very lightheaded after that until about a month ago.
no new concussions or head trauma in the past couple months, correct?
Correct
Can anxiety create this feeling?
I have never had anxiety or depression until this last severe concussion
In some cases, anxiety can cause these symptoms, but often the band-like sensation and tightness is due more to trigger points or muscle spasms in the back of the shoulders and neck muscles that can referred symptoms into the head, so working with a PT or chiro that is well-trained in myofascial Release is important
I go to a great chiropractic neurologist who is well known every 2 weeks and have done accupunctures so I’m not sure what else to do. Anxiety won’t create the tension in the head? But I will look into the myofascial stuff
Does your chiro do Active Release Technique
he does
Would talk to him about focusing on myofasical Release for the next few sessions and see if that helps the other symptoms
Great thank you. Have you done a lot of work with athletes and concussion stuff?
I have. I’ve been college and high school football team doc for years (plus a rec league hockey player) so see a lot of concussions. Can be challenging but treatment and research continue to improve every year. Definitely takes a team approach and sounds like you have some good components of that team around you to continue to help you improve
Perfect. Do you see people suffering from post concussion issues for this long?
I do get a few, so would have you continue your treatments.
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD