Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

WHAT KIND OF SURGERY CAN BE DONE FOR KYPHOSIS. JUST A

Customer Question
WHAT KIND OF SURGERY...

WHAT KIND OF SURGERY CAN BE DONE FOR KYPHOSIS

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

JUST A DIAGNOSIS HE RECOMMENDS SURGERY

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I AM 77 AND HAVE DEGENERATIVE BONE DESEASE

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/4/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Judy, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have inquired about the type of surgery that can be done to help with kyphosis. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation related to spine, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see in general most cases of kyphosis do not require any surgical types of treatment.

Kyphosis, also known as roundback or hunchback, is a condition in which the spine in the upper back has an excessive curvature. The upper back, or thoracic region of the spine, is supposed to have a slight natural curve. The spine naturally curves in the neck, upper back, and lower back to help absorb shock and support the weight of the head. Kyphosis occurs when this natural arch is larger than normal.

Before trying surgeries first non-surgical conservative measures need to be tried, surgery is tried only if the non-surgical conservative measures fail to help.

The following are the various non-surgical conservative measures to help with kyphosis;

1) Exercises - regular & daily exercise and a course of PT (physiotherapy) may be recommended to help strengthen the muscles in your back

2) Activities which strengthen core muscles, for example, yoga, pilates etc can help too

3) Weight management (if applicable)

4) Bracing of the spine too can help some patients, although bracing is not helpful for adults as much as children

5) If pain is present then pain management is necessary too

6) If the above measures do not adequately help then surgery for kyphosis is recommended

Surgery is only recommended for more severe cases of kyphosis

Surgery can usually correct the appearance of the back & can help to relieve pain too

Surgery for kyphosis is generally recommended if:

1) The curve of your spine is very pronounced, and the kyphosis is considered as severe in degree

2) The curve is causing persistent pain that can't be controlled with medication

3) The curve is disrupting your body's other important functions, such as breathing and the nervous system

4) Without surgery it's likely that the structure of your spine would deteriorate further etc

Now regarding your main question on – “what kind of surgery can be done for kyphosis?”;

The standard surgery for kyphosis involves a technique called as Spinal Fusion

This type of spine surgery involves joining together the vertebrae responsible for the curve of the spine

About the procedure - during the spinal fusion operation, an incision is made in your back. The curve in your spine is straightened using metal rods, screws and hooks, and your spine is fused into place using bone grafts. Bone grafts usually use donated bone but it may be taken from another place in your body, such as the pelvis etc

The procedure takes 4 – 8 hours and is carried out under general anaesthetic

You may need to stay in hospital for few days after the operation, and you may have to wear a back brace for few months to support your spine while it heals

You should be able to resume your daily activities after about four to six weeks

During recovery a course of physical therapy too is tried and this can help in augmenting and hastening recovery from the surgery.

Kyphosis spine surgeries help in getting relief from the kyphosis, and also these types of surgeries go very well without any major or serious complications, so please not to be scared!

Wishing you all the best with spine surgery! And wishing you a quick & complete recovery from the kyphosis!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi Judy, I hope I am not bothering you, I am trying following up on your health issues, do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD