Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My question concerns my son,who has been diagnosed with

Customer Question
My question concerns my...

My question concerns my son,who has been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety,by several drs.Nothing seems to work,some times he’ll get better for a month and everything quits working.Ireally wonder if there is a brain problem,not a mood disorder.Can anyone help us? We are desperate.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He had gone thru a divorce 1yr ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/4/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your son.

I am sorry to hear about your son’s health in the form of severe depression and anxiety and sadly no treatments seems helping him and you are appropriately wondering whether this could be related some primary brain problem rather than a primary mood disorder. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Yes, your concerns are very appropriate, considering nothing seems to be helping him we certainly need to suspect the possibility of primary brain issues (neurological & medical issues) to explain his health situation.

Please see depression and anxiety can either be primary or secondary.

Secondary means there is an identifiable underlying health cause for the depression & anxiety disorder (neurological/brain, medical etc), whereas primary means there are no such identifiable underlying health causes.

Some of the underlying health conditions that can cause depression & anxiety disorder (secondary depression & anxiety disorders) include the following;

Thyroid disease (hyperthyroidism or hyperactive thyroid)

Metabolic/electrolyte disturbances

Vitamin deficiencies (example B12 deficiency, niacin or vitamin b3 deficiency, vitamin b1 or thiamine deficiency, or vitamin b9 or folate deficiency, vitamin d deficiency etc)

Structural abnormalities in the brain (especially abnormalities involving the frontal or temporal lobe area of the brain)

Certain chronic types of infections involving the brain

Certain chronic types of inflammatory conditions affecting the brain

Exposure to certain toxins

Pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland issues) etc

As you see there are several secondary causes for refractory depression and anxiety, and I have also mentioned above the possible neurological conditions affecting the brain too that can cause severe and refractory depression & anxiety disorder.

Your son needs a thorough neurological evaluation in the clinic by a Neurologist that includes a thorough neurological clinical examination followed by undergoing certain neurological investigations such as the following;

An MRI scan of the brain

A Spinal tap (also called as Lumbar Puncture or LP) for CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) analysis

An EEG (Study of the brain waves) etc

And in addition to the above mentioned neurological investigations, if not already done he will also require additional investigations to explore the possibility of other health conditions mentioned earlier above that also can precipitate depression & anxiety disorder. And no need to repeat any of the above investigations if these have already been done, rather to focus on those investigations that have not already been done.

And if any of the above investigations identify any underlying neurological or medical cause for his refractory and severe depression & anxiety disorder then appropriate treatment will be started to fix these underlying neurological or medical problems.

Once again to your main question, yes you are absolutely right, since your son has been treated for depression & anxiety disorder but he is not responding to the treatments and has become refractory to the treatments so we should now consider the possibility of underlying neurological/brain & medical conditions that may be the actual cause for his depression and anxiety disorder - so seeing a Neurologist and undergoing a thorough neurological evaluation/examination and neurological/medical investigations as mentioned earlier above is the most prudent thing to do now and then treated appropriately depending upon what the neurological/medical evaluation & investigation identifies and this can enormously help your son in permanently getting relief from this type of very severe and refractory depression & anxiety disorder he is tortured with, so I hope he will see a Neurologist and undergo the above mentioned neurological/medical investigations asap for the best results & best outcome of his unfortunate and miserable health condition!

Wishing your son a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)