Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have a spot on the top left side of my head that hurts…

Customer Question
I have a spot...

I have a spot on the top left side of my head that hurts when I put pressure on it and sometimes when I don’t. It also hurts when I bite down on my jaw. It’s only a certain spot and I would like to know what it is, thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

It hurts when I put pressure on that particular spot and when I close my jaw tight. It’s been a month

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/4/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are having a spot that hurts on the left side of the head. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you, if you are concerned whether this could represent some kind of serious underlying health issues such as a brain tumor or cancer etc please see this is certainly not representative of any serious health conditions including tumors or cancers etc

This type of localized painful or hurting area – sometimes while pressing on it, sometimes even without pressing on it too, or during biting on your jaw etc is unlikely due to any serious health issues

Rather this is due to some localized irritation of the scalp region, or localized muscle spasm in the scalp region and this type of symptom is not uncommon in our neurology clinical practice and even after an extensive neurological investigations such as brain scans (MRI or CAT scans of the head/brain) etc nothing shows up

Rather this is some temporary local irritation of the scalp region, or muscle spasm etc

Since this is going on for a month so you may try to see a neurologist in the clinic so that you can receive a thorough clinical examination followed by certain neurological investigations such as a head/brain scan etc but the neurological investigations are essentially to reassure you and to prove to you this symptom is not related to brain and also it is not related to any tumors or cancers etc

Regarding treating this type of pain, you may try the following;

A nerve-pain pill such as Gabapentin or Amitriptyline

A muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine to relax the scalp muscles etc

Once again I can very categorically reassure you, the above symptom you have described is not suspicious for any serious health conditions such as any tumors or cancers etc, since it is going on for about a month now please try to see a neurologist in the clinic so that this can be further evaluated, investigated and then treated appropriately but as far as any serious health conditions such as tumors or cancers etc are concerned there is definitely no suspicion for any such serious possibilities, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)