Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a problem with dizziness, especially when I exercise.

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with dizziness, especially when I exercise. I believe it's vertigo. Is there a prescribed treatment for this?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I had a Cat Scan a few years ago with no abnormalities showing up. This condition has persisted most of my adult life. I am 66,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Otherwise, very healthy. Only hospital stay was six years ago due to a gall stone. Gall bladder later removed.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/3/2018
Neurologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Is this dizziness a spinning sensation or lightheadedness?

Was the CT scan done for an evaluation of the dizziness?

Was any other evaluation done?

Spinning sensation, sometimes accompanied by a feeling of nausea. No the CT scan was because of a concern about my persistent ringing in my ears... tinnitus.
This happened again today when I went to the gym and worked out. It lasted for15 to 20 minutes after I left the gym.

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, dizziness that is a spinning sensation would be called vertigo. Vertigo is not a single disease process. The most common cause of chronic vertigo is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). BPPV is due to crystals that form within the canals of the inner ear and get in a location that irritates the nerve endings. It is also possible to get chronic vertigo from Meniere's disease, which is due to fluid accumulation in the inner ear, or chronic inflammation of the inner ear. There also are some anatomic conditions that can cause vertigo, but with a negative CT scan, there is no reason to be concerned about that possiblity.

It would require a specific evaluation to determine the exact cause.

BPPV can be treated by using certain maneuvers that help to move the crystals away from where they are irritating the nerve endings. Different maneuvers will help different people, and once the maneuver that helps you is found, it can be taught so that you can do it at home. There also is some rehab interventions that can be done to help ease the symptoms. Meniere's disease can be treated with water pills.

There also are medicines that can suppress the vertigo. They work more as a relief of symptoms, rather than altering the underlying disease process. One of the common medicines is available over the counter, meclizine. Years ago, it was only available by prescription (called Antivert), but has available over the counter for a while now, primarily marketed for motion sickness. A common brand name is ***** ***** it is also readily available as a generic, so will only be called meclizine. Meclizine can cause drowsiness, so it is appropriate to be cautious in how it is used, but it can be used for relief of vertigo for any of the underlying causes.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.