Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is at Aurora Hospital in Bay. He is in ICU. He has…

Customer Question
My son is at...

My son is at Aurora Hospital in Green Bay. He is in ICU. He has ADEM. how do I know if

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

What studies have been done on ADEM. He also has diabetics. Is on dialysis. He is 49 yrs. Old. Patrick Finn. Would you recommend cyclophosthamide. He has had other treatments. Been in hosp since Dec 9th. Has found 5 lesions on hid MRI. Is there a chance of recovery??

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. They are treating him with what they know as they have never had a case like this in an adult. He is not waking up. They took 4 abscesses out of his neck Saturday. Is on a Trecheotomy. Antibotics. Was on night doses of steroids, has had 5 sessions of apreces, would Chemo or cyclophosthamide be a good option for him. He is slipping further away.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

No it's not for me my son. His reflex is good when pinched but does not open eyes now he did a week ago.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
He has a Dr. Reedy and Dr. Madis on his case. They are asking me to let them put in feeding tube in stomach then send to nursing home or let him go. I need to know if all options have been tryed and if other Doctors have dealt with this and what my chances are of a real recovery would be. I don't want him in this state for months, years?? Need more opinions.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/3/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your son.

I am sorry to hear about your son’s health in the form of ADEM and you have inquired whether Cyclophosphamide could help him. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Yes, cyclophosphamide can certainly be considered, especially he has been already tried on steroid course but it has not helped him so trying cyclophosphamide is something certainly to be considered.

I see he has not responded to any treatments that have been tried so far, so we should try certain other available treatments to help him, and his doctors now need to consider one or more of the following treatments to help him;

1) Cyclophosphamide

2) Intravenous Immunoglobulin infusion

3) Plasmapheresis

4) Hypothermia etc

I have also attached below a copy of a recent medical article from a very authentic source related to the ADEM including its treatment guidelines;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3152158/

As you see in the articles too Cyclophosphamide is certainly one of the treatment options to consider now, and there are few other treatment options too that can be considered (if not already tried in your son’s case) – when steroid treatment fails to help.

Once again to your main question, yes, Cyclophosphamide can certainly need to be considered for treating ADEM, especially of such severe case as your son is unfortunately having and not even responding to the steroid treatment & other treatments tried so far - so his doctors should certainly explore other aggressive treatment options now including Cyclophosphamide along with some other aggressive treatments mentioned earlier above, and hopefully this will help him in recovering from this unfortunate and very severe form of ADEM.

Wishing your son a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

The Doctors spoke with us tonight. They did a Ct and MRI. Again. They are seeing damage to the front love and deep in back lobe of brain. They are asking me to put feeding tube in stomach then he will go to nursing home or let him go. They will look into chemo but cannot do it at Aurora. They would have to transfer him to St. Luke's about 1 1/2 hour away. But nothing would bring his brain back.

Hi, I have received this additional information. I am typing now; I will follow up with you at the earliest.

Best Regards!

I am once again sorry to hear about your son’s unfortunate health situation. Also it is sad to see they cannot do the chemo treatment such as Cyclophophamide at there.

It is really unfortunate that he has sustained such severe brain damage. And before sending him to the nursing home etc you guys may also discuss about an experimental treatment called as stem cell treatment. This is still experimental but it is one of those treatments that have the potential to repair brain damages, so if possible you guys please discuss this treatment option with his neurologist before stopping trying any further definitive treatments.

Once again I am really sorry to hear about your son’s unfortunate health condition and wishing him and you guys all the very best!