Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have this weird feeling in my left ear. It's not painful…

Customer Question
I have this weird feeling...
I have this weird feeling in my left ear. It's not painful but just an odd sensation. It feels like it's in my ear, behind my ear, and also sometimes down the left side of my neck and chin. What could be causing this? I can't really describe wjat the feeling is it just feels off somehow.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
I also have a slight sore throat when I swallow on the left side also
12/31/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having this odd sensation around your ear

it could be due to your sore throat.

or due to ear wax

or due to some sinus inflammation.

The feeling has been going on before the sore throat.
Could earwax cause a slight pain or something along those lines. I do get pretty bad build up and when I go to clean them the left ear does kind of hurt when I do

I see.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? bad anxiety can magnify small symptoms and make you worried

do you have sinus congestion? runny nose? post nasal drip?

bad ear wax can cause slight pain and even decreased hearing in the ear.

you may need to try a water irritation ear wax dissolving system to help get rid of ear wax .

I do have anxiety and am quote the hypochondriac. The littlest things usually end up being tumors or cancer in my mind. Im.trying to get better at it but it just doesn't seem to go away. You don't believe that these pains or feeling sin the ear and left side of neck is anything serious?

no, I don't think these symptoms are anything serious

if your anxiety symptoms are bad, you may benefit from medication treatment to help decrease anxiety symptoms.

regular exercise can help decrease anxiety symptoms.

you can try over the counter kits to wash out ear wax

I would not stress about this pain

bad anxiety can also tension around your neck and ears

neck stretching exercises, deep breathing exercises an help decrease neck tension.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

earwax build up can cause these pains down the neck also? It been going on for about 8 weeks now

usually not earwax

but neck tension can

bad anxiety symptoms can cause pain down the neck.

You don't think it could be a tumor or anything that is causing it?

no, it is not from a tumor

I have also had a weird feeling in my left side also when I lay down on it. Could this be caused by the same reasons and could it be some sort of slipped disc or something along those lines?

no, it doesn't sound like a slipped disk

it sounds like bad neck tension from anxiety symptoms.

Neurologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The system says that you have requested a new expert.

What further information are you seeking?

I was mostly just looking for a second opinion. Could anxiety really be causing my ear and neck feel the way it does. It's not painful but just a weird sensation that has been lasting for some time now.

Yes, anxiety could be causing these symptoms.

The symptoms also could be caused by sinus inflammation (there is a sinus behind each ear) or muscle tightness/spasm.

There is no test that can prove that anxiety is causing these symptoms. If the symptoms are worse when the person feels more anxious, that would be suspicious. But the diagnosis of anxiety causing these symptoms would typically involve an evaluation to exclude other possible causes.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. Once we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

You don't believe that this could be some sort of tumor causing this or something more serious?

No, this does not sound like a tumor or any serious condition.

Also when I swallow food the bottom left section of my throat hurts. It's only when I swallow food though. Saliva and liquids don't bother me at. Could that be something with this feeling also?

I am sorry for the delay, but I had gone to bed.

Yes, the throat symptoms could be associated with this feeling. The Eustachian tube connects the throat tot he middle ear, and there are muscles that parallel the Eustachian tube, so that symptoms can be transmitted along the course of these structures. Symptoms actually can be transmitted in either direction - problems in and around the ear can cause symptoms that are felt in the throat and throat problems can cause symptoms that are felt in or around the ear.

still don't think it is caused by anything serious?

No, I do not.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor