Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

How successful is non invasive surgery using ultra sound for…

Customer Question
How successful is non...

How successful is non invasive surgery using ultra sound for essential tremor.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes a neurologist diagnosed the condition 18 years ago, no not on any medication

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I am a very fit 70 year old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have inquired about the success of non-invasive surgery of ET (Essential Tremors) using Ultrasound. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with this type of therapeutic intervention and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see to your main question – “How successful is non invasive surgery using ultra sound for essential tremor?” – The ultrasound guided treatment for ET (Essential Tremors) has given very encouraging results and it is certainly one of the treatment of choices nowadays for those are having ET resistant to medications etc.

This ultrasound mediated tremor treatment is also called by various other names such as the following;

MRgFUS = MR-guided ultrasound thalamotomy

Focused deep Ultrasound therapy

Focused Ultrasound thalamotomy etc

And the main advantage is this is non-invasive, and as you have also correctly mentioned - there is no surgical incision, no craniotomy or opening of the skull, so there is no bleeding or injury to the brain structures or infection etc that can occur during the actual invasive brain surgeries.

And in addition to this being a very safe procedure, it is overall considered very effective too in controlling various kinds of tremors including the ET too.

Because of its safety profile and also effectiveness it has been approved by FDA - the official agency that approves new medications and new devices in to the clinical practice.

I will also post a web link to an article from a very authentic source in this regard which confirms this mode of treatment for ET is safe and effective. In the conclusion part of thia article it is clearly mentioned – “CONCLUSIONS - MRgFUS VIM thalamotomy to relieve medication-resistant tremor was safe and effective in patients with ET, PD, and ET-PD (so this therapeutic intervention is helpful for certain other kinds of tremors too such as PD or Parkinson’s disease tremors too, but this procedure is certainly helpful for ET);

This is the link to the above mentioned medical article;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28298022

I am not sure what other treatments you have already tried for the control of ET, what I will do now is try to provide you with a list of various other treatments that are available for the control of ET, so that if you have not tried these additional treatment options then you may explore these other options too.

This is a list of various therapeutic interventions that are available for controlling ET;

A) First of all if there are any obvious triggers or provoking/exacerbating factors are present for these tremors they need to be avoided. Examples of such trigger factors for ET include;

Excessive or abnormal stress

Anxiety conditions

Certain medications

Sleep deprivation

Food deprivation (hypoglycemia or low blood glucose too can trigger or provoke tremors)

Excessive Fatigue

Excessive caffeine containing beverages etc

If there are any of the above mentioned trigger factors or precipitating factors are present then avoiding these factors can help too.

B) Trying certain oral medications such as the following;

Propranolol (or Atenolol, Metoprolol)

Primidone

Topiramate

Gabapentin

Remeron

Alprazolam (or Clonazepam, Lorazepam)

Clozapine etc

C) Trying certain injection forms of medication treatment such as the following;

Botox injection etc

D) Trying certain complementary & alternative medicine treatments such as the following;

Acupuncture

Hypnotherapy

Biofeedback etc

E) Trying certain special procedures such as the following;

Focused deep Ultrasound therapy – a non-surgical method – this is your main question - and this is discussed separately above

GKT (Gamma Knife Thalamotomy) – another non-surgical method etc

F) Trying certain actual surgical procedures (if none of the above help) such as the following;

DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) of the thalamus

Surgical Thalamotomy etc

Most of the patients do not require any of the actual surgical procedures to control the ET, rather one or more of the above mentioned non-surgical therapeutic interventions are sufficient to control their ET.

Once again to your main question -“How successful is non invasive surgery using ultra sound for essential tremor?” – please see, as discussed earlier above this non-invasive surgery using the Ultrasound technique is found to be certainly successful for the control of ET, and also it is very safe procedure too unlike the actual surgeries that may be associated with complications, so this ultrasound mediated ET treatment is both very successful as well as very safe procedure too so this is something being used more and more nowadays for patients who are having treatment resistant ET, so this mode of ET treatment is gaining more and more popularity in the recent times. In case if you have not tried any other modes of therapeutic interventions so I have posted above a list of such other treatment options too, but to your main question – yes the ultrasound mediated non-invasive surgery for ET (Essential tremors) is considered very successful as well as very safe mode of treatment too.

I earnestly hope you find the above information & list of treatments helpful.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery from ET (Essential Tremors)!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further about the non-invasive ultrasound treatment for ET (Essential Tremors) you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD