Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

When I sleep on my side I get pins and needles in my hands.

Customer Question
When I sleep on...

When I sleep on my side I get pins and needles in my hands

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I am 94 I had open heart surgery at 88 with two by-passes and some tweaks Ifeel my age i guess

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have ebjoyed excellent health - thw only incident was the surgery

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
12/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This is most likely a result of PINCHED NERVE; either in the spine (due to age related vertebral degeneration or disc prolapse) or in the hand (called carpal tunnel syndrome).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks doesn't sound serious

You need a physical exam aided by MRI of the spine and if needed Nerve Conduction Studies of the hands to diagnose this problem with certainty.

The treatment is to relieve the pressure over the nerves. A surgical decompression of the nerves in the hands can cure the problem in case of carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a minor surgery and recovery is with in few days.

For spinal problems, physiotherapy, pain medications and spinal injections can help.

Yes, this doesn't sound something serious or fatal, and doesn't warrant any visit to ER or urgent care. You can wait to get an appointment with your doctor.

Good luck

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor