Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am wondering if prolonged hydrocephalus can result in

Customer Question
Hi there, I...

Hi there, I am wondering if prolonged hydrocephalus can result in permanently enlarged ventricles (7mm) and how long someone would have to be left with a hydrocephalus for this to occur.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. The hydrocephalus occurred 20 years ago and was a result of two brain tumours (occipital). The tumours were removed. There is a permanent VP shunt. It took many many months to diagnose the tumours and hydrocephalus. Twenty years later with aging and previous head injuries (tumours, surgery and prolonged hydrocephalus) the decline in cognitive reserves has left my husband with little resiliency. He is now under treatment for severe major depression. I am asking this question because he was military and was denied a military disability pension because the tumours were not associated with his military service. (not sure how they can say this considering her worked with radar and sonar). I contend that his deficits are also related to being left untreated for several months. I am appealing the decision ..they say he got excellent timely treatment, I say he did not. So the question is how long does it take for a severy hydrocephalus to cause permanent enlarged ventricles?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

20 years. This is my third appeal. My General Practitioner agrees with me. His Geriatric Psychiatrist says his depression is a due to decreased cognitive reserve from aging and brain injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

We are talking about my husband here. The doctor is aware of everything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your husband.

I am sorry to hear about your husband’s deteriorating health & and also about the unfortunate & inappropriate denial of military disability pension as you have described above. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

You have inquired – “I am wondering if prolonged hydrocephalus can result in permanently enlarged ventricles (7mm) and how long someone would have to be left with a hydrocephalus for this to occur. So the question is how long does it take for a sever hydrocephalus to cause permanent enlarged ventricles?”

Yes, you are correct, prolonged hydrocephalus can indeed result in permanently enlarged ventricles.

And regarding how long does it take for a severe hydrocephalus to cause permanently enlarged ventricles – please see even relatively short duration of hydrocephalus too can cause permanently enlarged ventricles. Each individual is different when it comes to health issues, some can develop complications rapidly than others, so a duration of even few weeks to few months too is enough to cause permanently enlarged ventricles in the brain and also enough to cause permanent damage to the brain.

It is certainly possible the delay in making the diagnosis of the brain tumors and the hydrocephalus has caused the permanent hydrocephalus in your husband’s case and this can result in injury or damage to the brain and eventually this can give rise to issues such as declined cognitive reserves, and also subsequent depression etc.

So if they were not able to diagnose his brain tumors and hydrocephalus quickly, and if these brain pathologies were left like that without treatment - even for few weeks to few months that is enough to cause the enlarged ventricles to remain enlarged permanently and also cause brain damages.

Once again to your main question, please see even short duration of presence of severe hydrocephalus is sufficient to cause permanent changes or damages in the brain in the form of the development of permanently enlarged brain ventricles as well as cause permanent brain damage etc which can result with declining cognitive issues later and the decline in the cognitive decline can also result in development of severe depression too, so it is certainly possible all these are related to each other namely – the delay in diagnosis of his brain conditions – development of permanent hydrocephalus – and subsequent development of cognitive decline – and also subsequent development of major depression etc.

Wishing you guys a successful appealing process related to the military disability pension!

Wishing you guys all the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns related to your husband you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD