Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Should I be walking on an ankle that is swollen and some…

Customer Question
Should I be walking...

Should I be walking on an ankle that is swollen and some bruising? I am not sure if it’s a mild sprain because I can walk on it. Also should I be wearing a walking boot or an ankle supporter??

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

It happened two days ago and I am seeing bruising now. I work in a hospital and I used an ankle support to help me walk.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

the more you walk on it, the longer it can take to heal

the more you are able to rest off of it and ice your ankle, the sooner it can heal.

I am 39 years old.
Is there a good type of brace or walking boot I should be wearing?? While I am at work

yes, if you go to a medical supply store, they can fit you for a walking boot which an support your foot and ankles

you should be icing your ankle at night time and elevating it up when you are off of work.

it sounds like you can't take time off of work now.

This is what my ankle looks like now
***********_7DFA6035-DF95-43C8-BF18-C05639D0234D.JPG

I can't download that

you have to upload photos

do you see the "Add file" link?

I uploaded a picture of my ankle

I see that

that looks swollen and tender.

you should cut out salt out of your diet

and cut out carbohydrates and work on eating healthier.

and cutting out alcohol

loosing weight over time can help take pressure off of your ankle

you should ice your ankle at night time.

Was wondering if I just twisted my ankle or did I sprain it since it started bruising.

do you remember how you injured it?

I rolled my ankle on uneven ground. The garage floor was higher than the driveway. I wasn’t paying attention and stepped back and turned it wrong.
The garage floor was higher than the driveway and was cracked in some spots and stepped back wrong and rolled my ankle.

sounds like twisting the ankle and spraining the ankle are both applicable here

I don't see a lot of difference in those types of injures.