Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I just hoy diagnosed with genital herpes. I think I might’ve…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. i just...

Hi Dr. i just hoy diagnosed with genital herpes. I think I might’ve passed it to my hand because I got a bump on my finger and started feeling pain on my arm. After this, I started feeling pain on some vertebrae on the upper back (also the tailbone pain of GH and cyatica pain all the way down to my foot). I also get tingly and vibrating sensations on my arms, back of the neck and back of the head. Am I at big risk? Are these symptoms normal? Will it pass? I was on acyclovir 800gr 5 times daily for 10 days. That stopped the symptoms but I got a little pain on my right flank so don’t want to go back to taking it right away. Just stopped taking the medicine and the symptoms came back 3 days later :( what should I do??

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries. The scary symptoms are the tingling sensation all over my upper back and arms. I also feel anxious because of that feeling. And I wake up with my hands hurting and my arms debilitated

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Just want to know the neurological implications of having genital herpes and herpes in hands. And why do I feel tingly up to the back of my head

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/28/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

Do you have a rash on the arm?

No rash. Just the tingling and some profound pain on my hand sometimes.
An the tingling feels as it starts on my back bone and spreads to my upper back, arms and back of the head

I think this is coming from your cervical spine

you probably have a disc bulge pressing on a nerve

herpes would have a rash with it

is this helpful?

Mmm when I was on acyclovir, the tingling stopped. So I really feel like this is the virus acting.

I have never seen a viral issue like this without a rash

just click send to reply