Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had datscan august low dopamine right side mri I hv severe…

Customer Question
I had datscan august low...
I had datscan august low dopamine right side mri I hv severe cervical stenois c5 c7 canal six mimimeters fall to right when close my eyes positive rhomberg sick feeling intentional tremors can't walk very well hv strange bruises in back of my legs I can't get out of chair very anxious tired can't stand on one foot cud I hv lesions in cerebellum or stroke can't all be parkinsons. !
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Helen, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of various symptoms you have described above, and I see the neurological investigations revealed certain findings that you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

You have asked question – “cud I hv lesions in cerebellum or stroke can't all be parkinsons. !?”

I will try to answer your question point by point below here;

1) Could this represent some lesions in the cerebellum?

Yes, it is certainly possible. You have intention tremors, and these usually represent cerebellar lesions. Cerebellar lesions can affect the walking too, and cerebellar lesions can also cause difficulty in getting out of the chair – which you are having. So cerebellar lesions is a possibility to consider to explain some of your symptoms.

2) Could this be stroke?

Yes, this could represent stroke too. In fact stroke can explain all the types of symptoms you have been having. But if this is stroke the mri scan of the brain must have showed the stroke. If you have not had an mri scan of the brain then you need one asap since mri scan of the brain is the best investigation to explore the possibility of stroke.

3) Can all these manifestations secondary to parkinson’s?

Yes it is possible too, parkinson’s patients can have difficulty in walking and they can have other symptoms too such as tremors (although these tremors are resting type tremors), difficulty in getting out of the chair, tendency to fall etc. And also the DatScan you have had showed low dopamine in the right side and this may indicate a parkinsonian condition.

There are different kinds of parkinson’s conditions, one of them the most typical form is called as parkinson’s disease, then there are several other types of parkinson’s conditions grouped under the umbrella term “secondary parkinsonism” or “parkinson’s plus syndromes” etc. One of the secondary parkinsonism or parkinson’s plus syndrome condition can explain all the types of symptoms you have been having. Especially with DaTscan of the brain showing low dopamine in the right side of the brain so a parkinsonian condition certainly need to be included in the differential.

So to your questions, yes you are correct – you may have lesions in the cerebellum, or this could be stroke, and all your symptoms can also be explained by a parkinson’s condition too.

In addition to the above mentioned possibilities there is also another condition called as SCA (Spinocerebellar ataxia) and this condition also can explain all your symptoms, and this condition affects the spinal cord, part of the brain – especially the cerebellum part of the brain and this condition also presents with sensory ataxia which clinically manifests as positive Romberg’s sign – which you are having, so there is a possibility you are having a type of SCA (Spinocerebellar ataxia) too.

Another possibility to consider is the cervical spinal stenosis, if this stenosis is compressing the spinal cord then this also can explain many of the symptoms you have been having.

As you use there are many possibilities so you need a thorough neurological further evaluation & investigations to explore all the above mentioned possibilities and then treated appropriately depending upon the final precise diagnosis.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi Helen, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD