Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My 20 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and is suffering…

Customer Question
My 20 year old...

My 20 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and is suffering from nerve pain. We have been to many drs that say it is CRPS however i feel it is insulin neuritis due to A1c down from 13-7 and 20lb weight loss in a short period of time. She was given Lyrica for the "CRPS" and PT but neither is working and she is in such pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has been seen by neurology at MGH and BCH.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your daughter.

I see your daughter is suffering from severe nerve pain and her current treatments are not helping her. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see she has tried lyrica & PT but all in vain.

What I will do is try to provide you guys with a list of various treatment options that are available for the management of pain due to nerve irritations (nerve-pain) and if you guys see any of the below mentioned treatment options not yet used please consider using them to help with her nerve pain.

This is a list of various treatment options that are available to treat nerve pain;

A) Over the counter OR Non-prescription OR Home remedies to control nerve pain;

Capsaicin pain relief skin cream

Penetrex Neuropathic Pain Relief Cream

Nervex neuropathic pain relief cream

Arnicare pain relief skin cream

Evening Primrose oil (for external application)

Neuroveen (for external application)

Lidocaine anesthetic pain relieving skin patches (Aspercreme skin patches) – Non-prescription type

Lidocaine anesthetic skin cream

Therapeutic Neuropathy Pain Relief Healing Balm with Organic Essential Oils

Neuropathy homeopathic Rubbing Oil etc

B) Prescription Nerve-pain pills & other prescription preparations to control nerve pain;

Duloxetine

Milnacipran

Amitriptyline

Nortriptyline

Imopramine

Desipramine

Venlafaxine

Lidocaine anesthetic pain relieving skin patches (prescription strength)

Opioid or narcotic pain killers like codeine or hydrocodone, or oxycodone containing pain medication preparations

Botox injections etc

C) Medical devices to control nerve pain;

TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy)

Ultrasound therapy

Stimpod NMS460 neuromodulation device

Calmare Scrambler Pain therapy etc

D) Complementary or Alternative medicine treatment options to control nerve pain;

Acupuncture etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider to help with nerve pain, but please see not all these above mentioned treatments may be required in her case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you guys are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with nerve pain and she may try to use them as necessary. If you guys see any of the above treatments she has already tried please disregard them and please explore the treatment options which she may have not yet tried.

In addition to the above, the following are the various nutritional supplements that can also be used to treat nerve irritations & nerve pain;

Methyl Guard Plus (This is combination pill containing active forms of vitamin b12, folate, b6 & b2)

Benfotiamine which is active form of vitamin B1 (Thiamine)

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Coenzyme Q 10

Calcium & Magnesium

Omega 3 fatty acids or Fish oil

Evening Primrose Oil (Oral preparation)

Neuroveen Oral

Acetyl L Carnitine

Glutathione

Glutamine etc

The above mentioned nutritional supplements are also called as nerve repair supplements because they may help with nerve repair & nerve regeneration and this can additionally help in the relief from the pain, and also promote faster recovery from this nerve irritation or damage. These are considered as safe nutritional supplements and are not expected to cause any major or serious side effects, or interactions among themselves or with any other medications, so if she wishes she may take all of the above, or she may try only some of the above too.

I earnestly hope you guys find the above information & list of treatments helpful.

Wishing your daughter a quick & complete recovery from this unfortunate & severe nerve pain!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She can't stand anything touching her feet shoes, water, creams nothing. We have tried most of the prescriptions you have mentioned as this has been going on for 3+ months she's also taking the supplements you mention however maybe not enough. please send supplement dosage for evening primrose r-liporic acid, and b-12 methyl and any other supplements we methyl. She's in so much p as in

I am extremely sorry to hear she is suffering from torturesome nerve pain and whatever she has tried so far has not helped her at all.

I see she has been using supplements too, yes it is possible she is not getting the adequate doses of the supplements. You have inquired the doses for the supplements, accordingly I have written below here the various preparations that are usually available in the market, and also the daily doses for these supplements;

1) Methyl Guard Plus preparation (it comes as only one strength of fixed dose combination) – usually 1 capsule to 3 capsules per day

2) Benfotiamine preparations – usually comes as 150, 300 mg tablets, dose ranges from 150 mg twice daily to 300 mg twice daily

3) ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid preparations) – usually comes as 250mg, 300 mg & 600 mg Capsules, dose 1 capsule once daily to 1 capsule twice daily (600 mg per day)

4) Coenzyme Q 10 preparations - usually comes as – 100, 200, 400 mg softgels, dose 100 mg to 1200 mg per day, the total daily dose can be taken in two to three divided doses each day

5) Calcium & Magnesium preparations – Calcium – usually comes as Tablets 250 mg, 500 mg & 1000 mg, dose usually between 1000 mg to 2500 mg per day, total daily dose is taken in two to three divided doses each day, Magnesium chloride (also called as Slow-Mag) usually comes as Tablet 64 mg, dose 1 tablet twice daily

6) Omega fatty acids or Fish oils preparations – usually comes as 1000 mg capsule, dose 1 capsule to 3 capsules per day

7) Evening primrose oil Oral preparations (Oenothera biennis) – usually comes as Capsules 1000 mg each - The recommended dose of evening primrose oil is 4 to 6 capsules a day, at a dose of 1000 mg each capsule

8) Neuroveen oral preparation – comes as a bottle, ½ ml to 1 ml two times to three times per day

9) Acetyl L carnitine preparations – usually comes as Tablet 250, 500, 1000 mg; dose range is 250 mg per day to 2000 mg per day

10) Glutathione preparations – usually comes as Capsule 500 mg, dose 1 capsule per day

11) Glutamine preparations – usually comes as Capsules 500 mg, 1000 mg, dose 500 mg to 1000 mg two to three times per day

I hope you guys will make appropriate dosage adjustment as above, and I earnestly hope these supplement combinations taken at appropriate doses will help her.

I earnestly hope you guys find the above information helpful.

Wishing your daughter a quick & complete recovery from this unfortunate & severe/torturesome nerve pain!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, how is your daughter feeling now? Has she been feeling any better now?

I earnestly hope she will recover quickly & completely from the annoying, bothersome and frustrating nerve-pain she has been tortured with - that you had mentioned during your previous visit here.

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you had mentioned earlier above, or any other health related concerns?

Have you guys tried any of the treatment options that I had mentioned earlier? Is the dosage information for the supplements I had provided above helpful to you guys? If you guys have already tried all of these treatment options please let me know, I can make some new recommendations.

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)