Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

What kind of doctor do I need to see to diagnose pudendal…

Customer Question
Good morning. What...

Good morning. What kind of doctor do I need to see to diagnose pudendal neuralgia?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No Ilve had 2 back surgeries in the past four years. My back feels fine.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to hear about your problem . Its an uncommon diagnosis so usually not very easy to diagnose. Symptoms suggestive of pudendal neuralgia include pain in the genitals or the anal-rectal area and the immense discomfort is usually worse when sitting. The pain tends to move around in the pelvic area and can occur on one or both sides of the body. Sufferers describe the pain as burning, knife-like or aching, stabbing, pinching, twisting and even numbness. These symptoms are usually accompanied by urinary problems, bowel problems and sexual dysfunction.

DIAGNOSIS

It needs MRI lumbosacral spine ( which you must have had with the back surgeries) to look for any uncorrected nerve entrappments.

Nerve conduction studies with electromyography can also provide supporting evidence for PN .

TREATMENT OPTIONS

these include nerve pain specific medications such as gabapentin, pregabalin, etc alongwith mild to more potent pain relief like opioids depending upon the severity.

Other options include ;

Pudendal nerve block

Botox

You need to see a neurologist for diagnosis / management of PN.

I hope you find it useful.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor