Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I had an acute subdural hematoma that was quickly operated…

Customer Question
I had an acute...

I had an acute subdural hematoma that was quickly operated on with a craniectomy with cranioplasty only a week later. I am testing unusually well for being only 3 months past this. What is my probable risk for developing post traumatic epilepsy considering how well I am testing on all neuropsychology tests? Does the fact that I am testing better make it lower than the “average” acute subdural hematoma percentage?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

None.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a post traumatic amnesia of about two weeks but I was heavily sedated for the majority of that time.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/21/2017
Neurologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Thank you! I can’t stop researching and it seems as if every study is contradictory!

Would like to know your age and gender please. Did you experience any loss of consciousness with the hematoma? How is your health in general ? Any medications that you take ? History of trauma / blow to the head?

Feeling better is obviously a good sign ,esp if you do not have any other risk factors like altered consciousness at the time of presentation, age more then 60, excessive alcohol intake, use of blood thinning drugs , etc. The risk of seizures however can not be totally ruled out as only time will tell us for sure. Usually seizures present within 2years after SDH and the incidence declines there on .

Female, 27, with overall good health, almost recovered from broken femur as well. Take adderall XR 30mg as I did beforehand for add. Take Xanax for help sleeping and sometimes anxiety. Other than that just birth control.Car accident trauma. However apparently I was not unconscious from wreck or when help arrived even though I don’t remember it, I was responding to questions. I was heavily sedated once in the helicopter ambulance and I don’t know what my consciousness was except that I never was totally unresponsive. I at times have had a drink or two without issue.

Sorry to know that , well your age is a positive factor here. But as you are still unsure whether you were completely coherent at the time of presentation or not so its diffucult to guage the chances. The impact of road traffic accident can be quite bad so its too premature to rule out any risk of seizures. You need to avoid any further trauma to your head to minimize the risk. Preventive anti epileptic medications are also advised sometimes if its too imminent.

wish you all the best.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor