Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My cervical mri, it says "broad based central bulging of…

Customer Question
My cervical mri, it...

My cervical mri, it says "broad based central bulging of disc at C5-6 and C6-7 partially effaces the ventral csf space at each level. Could you explain what this means?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Dizziness yes headaches only on occasion

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Memory issues yes to nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so, neck/shoulder region pain seems to worse after sitting

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/20/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Huynh, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Huynh
Dr. Huynh, Board Certified Physician
Hello, I’m Dr. Huynh, a board certified physician. Thanks for providing the mri result. How long have you had neck/shoulder pain? Is there any numbness or tingling or shooting pain into your arms?
Had the pain for about a year, seems to be worsening. The mri I read you was done almost a year ago. Yes I have shooting pain in my arms on occasion but MRI says no nerve compromise.
What treatments have you done for it since it was first diagnosed a year ago?
Was there a precipitating factor, like a car accident that caused the pain, for example?
No precipitating factors. Ive had PT before which did not seem to help. what exactly does "partially effacing the ventral CSF space" mean? says no definite cord compression.
Thank you for the responses; they were helpful for context. The mri essentially is saying that you have a bulging disc. It is more common for a disc to bulge posteriorly meaning towards your back. Yours seems to describe a central bulging - forwards and backwards. When the disc bulges forward, it has the potential to compress the spinal cord or the cebrospinal fluid that is around it. In your case, it seems to be minimizing the amount of csf towards the front part of your body at the spinal level.
No definite cord compression is a good thing. But, with worsening pain, with shooting, could mean hat the disc bulge is worsening. I recommend going back to your local doctor to have it reinhard with a fresh new MRI to see what has happened in a year. Then you and your doctor can talk about the options moving forward.
Do you have any follow up questions for me?
If you have any follow up questions, let me know! Otherwise, please take a moment to rate me a 5 or let me know how I can improve. Happy holidays!