Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have an irritated, inflamed muscle in my back. Leveator…

Customer Question
I have an irritated...

I have an irritated, inflamed muscle in my back. Leveator muscle I believe. Can that cause paints in my chest?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

I had a health screening in April and all of my levels are perfectly healthy. I work out 6 days a week. I have not been sick

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
it comes and goes. Its been doing this for days. It happens a lot at night before bed. I' know i have anxiety a lot of the time. I've called 911 before. they've sent someone out and everything has been fine. I've been to the ER before for the same thing, twice, and everything has checked out just fine as well
12/20/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 2 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Yes this can be responsible for the chest pain.

It seems you have myofascial trigger point. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

The other concomitant cause of your chest pain is likely to be due to anxiety. Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

ok thank you
right now the back muscle isn't acting up but could it still be causing th pain?

You are very welcome.

Yes muscle pain are the commonest cause of chest pain.

sometimes deep breaths cause a little bit of discomfort

This further confirms the muscle pain.

Even though its a muscle in the back?
sorry, I'm just trying to un-stress myself about it being a heart attack

Your anxiety is overplaying.

This is unrelated to heart.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Thank you. I will try to sleep now

You are very welcome.

Please sleep well.

No problem here.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other