Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had Diabetes for 20 years, A1C in the mid 6's. I do…

Customer Question
I have had Diabetes...

I have had Diabetes for 20 years, A1C in the mid 6's. I do suffer from neropathy but my Father died from Amilodosis after a 10 year battle with Chemo and neuropathy type pain and symptoms. He died at 73 in 1993, I will be 71 in May,2018. How do I know if I have inherited his disease since the symptoms can be the same?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have had increasing pain for about 5 years and take Gabipention 3 times a day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is up to date with all my conditions and medication. He is a Endocrinologist.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/18/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Are you asking whether you have amyloidosis or are you referring to whether your neuropathy will progress the way your father's did?

I just wondered how will I know if I have Amyilodosis. Should I request some type of test or will something show up in my yearly blood work.

Generally, if it is suspected, such as due to all the classic symptoms of diffuse neuropathy and weight loss, organ issues, etc, then we do a fat pad biopsy which is obtained from the abdomen or thigh. Then if that doesn't reveal anything we might run some specific blood tests looking for the amyloid proteins in the the system or go on to doing an organ biopsy.

I have tried to send my phone number and money authorization but it's not going thru
My no. Is 501/9159234

It might be easier to continue this through text if that's okay with you. I wouldn't be able to make a phone call now though perhaps another neurology expert on here would be able to handle this issue through a phone call.

Thanks, ***** ***** always been concerned as was originally told there's no connection and that the Amyilodosis was not hereditary but that was 10 - 15 years ago. My neuropathy seems to be getting worse even with increasing meds. I see Endocrinologist on January 2nd and will pursue this in greater detail with him.

What part of the neuropathy is getting worse?

Your A1C is very well controlled. What are you current list of medications?

I agree that the chance of amyloidosis and genetic risk are both incredibly low.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD