Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

One evening my left hand felt a little sore. The next

Customer Question
One evening my left...

One evening my left hand felt a little sore. The next morning it hurt to use it at all and was swollen. At times it throbs when I'm not using it. The pain is down the pinky side of my left hand into my wrist but makes my whole hand puffy. Feels like a sprain or broken bone but nothing happened to it at all!! What could it be??

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries at all!! This started Thursday night with a noticeable pain in hand/wrist.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/16/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 2 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Does this come and go?

The severity of the pain goes from tolerable to throbbing but it has not gone away.

Any redness to the skin?

No red this morning...yesterday it was red on top of the wrist bone...very sore to touch area over wrist bone

OK

This sounds like a typical gout attack

For now you can try heat, topical capsaicin cream and oral ibuprofen

But I suggest you see your doctor to check your serum uric acid level and to get a prescription for colchicine which can take care of this in about a day

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor