Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I've had muscle twitches head to toe for i would say 12

Customer Question
Hi. I've had muscle...

Hi. I've had muscle twitches head to toe for i would say 12 months. About 4 weeks ago my left thumb started twitching involuntary and it wont stop 24/7 not even during sleep. This morning i felt the right thumb start up. My bloods are clear and so are my mri of the brain and spine. Gp said i have to wait 4 months to see a neuro. Can you help?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've had vertigo on and off for about a year as well

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/15/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

are you male or female?

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? severe anxiety can cause muscle twitching, which is often called benign fasciculations of small muscles and nerves under the skin

lack of sleep, too much caffeine, too high thyroid hormone levels can also do this as well.

Im 28 and female. I get 8 hours of sleep per night, dont drink any caffeine and my thyroid has been tested and came back all clear. The twitches are constant all day every day. I have had stress the past 2 months however i do worry as my stress has since calmed down, its been 4 weeks and my thumb just constantly ticks and now its starting in the right hand.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

bad anxiety symptoms can cause twitching of muscles and nerves.

I have in the past but i have since resolved those. Is it normal for it to last this long and have both thumbs this chronic?

you can have benign fasciculations for a long time

drinking more water, taking in more potassium and magnesium in your diet can help your twitching symptoms.

Okay so i shouldn't worry about the long wait to see my neurologist? I shouldn't worry too much about MN or anything like that?

you shouldn't worry about the wait to see your neurologist.

no, you don't have to worry about motor neuron disease.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD