Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is military while on travel he had passed out on…

Customer Question
My husband is military while...
My husband is military while on travel he had passed out on the plane for about 20/ 30 minutes he has also thrown up during that time. The plane was deverted he was seen at a local hospital in which he had a ekg a CT scan and a full CBC all coming back normal he had a follow up back home in which he was referred to a neurologist who decided after just talking with my husband to do further testing because he believed it was a seizure they did another full blood work up and checking renal function and liver also a echo and a eeg everything put the eeg came back normal the eeg show a abnormally in the lower left lobe of the brain and now the doctors has said my husband has epilepsy and told him to start taking keppra. My husband has only had this episode once and member had it before or again and is completely health can he really diagnose him with epilepsy on one abnormal eeg
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I'm very sorry to hear this happened to your husband.

The EEG can be highly suggestive of seizure like activity.

I think it is the safe thing to do

If he doesn't take it he could have another seizure driving and kill himself or someone else

My son has had 4 seizure in under a year all of his test are completely normal and he’s had never been prescribed medication or been diagnosed with epilepsy. So what is the difference between my son and my husband

I think your son is not being treated correctly

unless his seizures came with fevers

All of his seizure have presented with a fever except his first one at 15 months old

Ok. So then he has febrile seizures

he might develop epilepsy later

febrile seizures are common in kids

My husband is military while on travel he had passed out on the plane for about 20/ 30 minutes he has also thrown up during that time. The plane was deverted he was seen at a local hospital in which he had a ekg a CT scan and a full CBC all coming back normal he had a follow up back home in which hewas referred to a neurologist who decided after just talking with my husband to do further testing because he believed it was a seizure they did another full blood work up and checking renal function and liver also a echo and a eeg everything put the eeg came back normal the eeg show a abnormally in the lower left lobe of the brain and now the doctors has said my husband has epilepsy and told him to start taking keppra. My husband has only had this episode once and member had it before or again and is completely health can he really diagnose him with epilepsy on one abnormal eeg
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

I see that you have requested a new expert.

Actually, i would agree with the previous expert that your husband should be on Keppra given the ABNORMAL EEG, an abnormal EEG is highly suggestive of epilepsy. If it was normal then I think his neurologist may not have started him on medications and instead opted for further testing or even observation. The main point here is that the EEG was abnormal even when he was not experiencing an active seizure, an abnormal seizure in the absence of an overt seizure does indicate that the patient can develop seizures at any time and should be treated as soon as possible.

In the case of your son, all of his tests were normal and I assume he also got an EEG done, if the EEG was normal AND the seizures occurred with fever then they would be classified as febrile seizures, Febrile seizures in children are often not treated and they fade away on their own. HOWEVER, if he continues to develop seizures in the ABSENCE of a fever then I would get a video EEG or even a sleep EEG or a continuous EEG done as well.

But for now, i believe that you husband is on the correct treatment an abnormal EEG is not something we can simply observe. Secondly, in adults, a seizure holds more significance as adults are less prone to develop seizures when compared to children.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist