Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr., Thank you for your time. I received a similar testing…

Customer Question
Dr. Frank, Thank you for your...
Dr. Frank,
Thank you for your time. I received a similar testing style as above mentioned.
I have had frequent left eye pain accomoanied with sever left neck pain and back spams. Had spells of vertigo, also nausea and chills and fever. That lasted one week. Got an MRI which made me very ill. I could hardly move afterwards they had to pick me up and it was severely painful for Me. The neurologist had this to say to me: you have an anxiety disorder on top of djd of your lower thoracic spine. You can keep looking and got to a rheumatologist and another Nuerology doctor for a second consult but these things aren't curable. He says I need to go to psychiatry.
Now sure we all could benefit from therapy etc.
On my MRI report it does show in addition to the multilevel degeneration and protrusion of my c5 c6 discs,
it shows under bones and extracranial soft tissues:
The orbits appear unremarkable. Atelectatic left maxillary sinus with lateralization of the uncinate process. Mild mucosal thickening left maxillary sinus. No gross osseous abnormality.
From what I've looked up.. I don't understand why he wouldn't have recommend me seeing a ENT due to my persistent headaches and left eye pain???? Also can't this generally be a sign of auto immune issues ?
Thanks
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/14/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Ashley, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. The expert to whom this question was initially addressed is not available now and the company has made this question available for other experts too, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the symptoms and the mri scan findings you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I have tried to answer your questions one by one below here;

From what I've looked up..

1) I don't understand why he wouldn't have recommend me seeing a ENT due to my persistent headaches and left eye pain????

Yes, you are totally correct. In fact with the types of symptoms you have been having and also with the type of mri findings - seeing ent is highly recommended in your case. The headache and eye pain may be related to the sinus issues, so a thorough evaluation and investigations by an ent dr is highly recommended now.

The mri scan is showing various findings related to the sinus, especially related to the maxillary sinus in the form of some sinusitis (mucosal thickening), and also additional findings such as atelectasis of the left maxillary sinus and lateralization of the uncinated process etc and these type of findings require a thorough evaluation and investigations by an ent dr and then treated appropriately. The above conditions can cause some of the symptoms you have been having, and also if these sinus related conditions left untreated then may cause more issues in the future so seeing an ent dr is highly recommended now.

2) Also can't this generally be a sign of auto immune issues?

It is correct; you also require a thorough evaluation & investigations to rule out the possibility of any autoimmune disease too. Your symptoms may be secondary to certain autoimmune inflammatory conditions too. There are various investigations including certain specific blood tests and these can help in ruling out the possibility of autoimmune inflammatory diseases, for example blood tests such as ESR, CRP, ANA, RA factor, Serum complements, Anti Ro (SSA), Anti La (SSB) etc can help in exploring the possibility of autoimmune inflammatory conditions, and your neurologist in conjunction with a rheumatologist can evaluate & investigate you further to rule out this possibility

Once again to your main questions, yes I fully concur with you, seeing an ent dr is highly recommended now, and also we need to explore the possibility of autoimmune diseases as well and in this regard further evaluation and investigations are necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results and final precise diagnosis. Please insist your neurologist to arrange for the above, if the current neurologist is not helpful then please try to see another neurologist who can help you with the above health issues & concerns you are appropriately having. We cannot attribute your symptoms & mri scan findings all just to anxiety and be done with this, you certainly require further evaluation & investigations to explore other possibilities, as discussed above.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)