Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter was hit by a car about 2 years ago and has had…

Customer Question
My daughter was hit...

My daughter was hit by a car about 2 years ago and has had on going problems with the right side of her body (she is 23) we are at the point where her leg is giving out on her and is falling over, mostly down stairs, she is struggling to get in her work vehicle and has no strength in her leg we have he tests done and they found damaged nerves in her leg from knee to hip. I am trying to find someone that can give us some advise as where or what we can do now. ACC is now trying to say it is a medical problem not caused by the hit and run.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes we can get everything

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing like this and she was fit and healthy before the accident

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/13/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your daughter.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s heath in the form of right sided symptoms including the leg symptoms you have described above and I see this started after the unfortunate accident about 2 years ago. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

And I see the tests have showed nerve damage in her right leg which can explain her leg symptoms and falling etc.

Please see nerve injuries take long time to heal. And also nerve injuries may not always respond to the medical management well, and in some patients the recovery from nerve injuries may be only partial, leaving the patient with residual symptoms. And there are no medications that can guarantee recovery from nerve injuries. So we need to try some aggressive treatments to help with recovery from nerve injuries.

The following are two aggressive treatment approaches and these treatment approaches can help her with the repair of the nerve injuries she is having and recovery from her symptoms;

1) Surgical interventions

2) Stem cell treatments

The surgical treatments are in the form of certain neurosurgical interventions and the following are the various neurosurgical treatments that are available to help with nerve injuries;

Neurolysis External

Neurolysis Internal

Nerve repair

Nerve grafting

Nerve transfers

Nerve transplant etc

The other definitive treatment mentioned earlier above was stem cell treatment.

There is already some evidence to show stem cell treatments can help in nerve repair & regeneration. Stem cell treatment appears a groundbreaking and revolutionary treatment and it has the potential to cure many neurological conditions including peripheral nerve injuries, but it is still undergoing clinical trials and not made available for clinical practice yet (but it has reached later stages of clinical trials, so hopes are there it will be made available in the near future). There are some companies that have already been using them unofficially, and they are claiming they have found the stem cell treatment can cure nerve injuries. But please see stem cell treatment is not yet approved by any official agencies that approve new drugs or new treatments for using in the clinical practice - so we cannot officially recommend this treatment yet for our patients. But if all other therapeutic interventions fail to help then at that moment stem cell treatment may need to be considered, which is considered as the most promising & most definitive treatment for curing nerve injuries or nerve damage, and there is a hope it will be made available in the near future once official agencies such as FDA clears it for routine use in clinical practice.

The above are the treatment options that can help her with the repair & regeneration of the nerve injuries she is having in her right leg.

The surgical treatments mentioned above are officially available now and you guys need to see a neurosurgeon to receive those surgical treatments. And stem cell treatments are not made available for this purpose officially yet, but there are companies offering these treatments already so if nothing else helps then you guys may consider trying this revolutionary therapeutic intervention, and you guys may discuss about this treatment option with her primary care dr, or you guys may also try to contact one of the agencies that offer stem cell treatments in your area. For example you guys may contact this below mentioned agency that offers stem cell treatment in NZ, or similar agencies in and around your area who offer stem cell treatment for peripheral nerve damages;

http://www.stemcelltreatment.co.nz/Home_Page.php

In the meantime she may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in repair and regeneration from peripheral nerve injuries, but she will require more definitive treatments and such definitive treatments include the neurosurgical treatment options and stem cell treatment options as mentioned earlier above, and these two treatments can help with actual repair and regeneration from the type of nerve injury she is having and with these types of definitive therapeutic interventions she will be able to recover from this unfortunate accident related nerve injury she is having in her right leg, and be able to function normally as before the accident.

Wishing your daughter a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health situation you have mentioned above? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD