Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Don't know if it's muscle or bone pain but I get pains in…

Customer Question
Don't know if it's...

Don't know if it's muscle or bone pain but I get pains in arms legs lower back and now get tingling sensation in feet have had headaches and a few dizzy spells

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic no nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

5 months post tubal ligation also epileptic

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/13/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the various new onset symptoms you have been having. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am preparing & typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, it will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Are these all new symptoms for you, or have you had any of these symptoms in the past too?

3) Are there any additional symptoms such as - neck stiffness, fever, facial droop, one sided weakness of the arms or legs, gait difficulties, speech or swallowing difficulties, double vision, blurring of vision, vertigo (spinning sensation), sensitivity to light or sound, joint pain, joint swelling, loss of appetite, loss of weight etc

4) Was a Doctor in the clinic seen already? And any medical investigations have been done already? If yes, kindly provide me with the report of these medical investigations

5) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)?

6) Is there any excessive stress recently, or any issues with anxiety disorder?

7) Are there any issues such as lack of sufficient sleep, dehydration, work overload, missing food etc?

8) Are there any already diagnosed medical health conditions (other than epilepsy), such as high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes, low blood sugar, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

I'm 28 the arms and legs and tingling is new as a child I suffered migraines .question 3. Yes to joint pain and weight loss no to others
Haven't seen doc yet
Epilem clonazepam topiremate and for pain codiene and Panadol
Not dehydrated
Bp and everything fine last bloods white count was up and iron was at 5 I think?

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you at the earliest.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Once again I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of various new symptoms as you have described above.

Please see the types of symptoms you have mentioned above in the form of pain in the arms, legs, lower back, joints etc, headaches, tingling, dizziness, weight loss etc themselves are not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar types of symptoms, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the types of new symptoms you have been having;

Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9/Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 deficiencies)

Electrolyte disturbances/Mineral deficiency

Endocrine disorders such as thyroid gland dysfunctions

Anemia (to explain the iron level)

Orthostatic hypotension

Spine conditions such as arthritis, or disc, or pinched spinal nerve roots in the spine

Peripheral neuropathy (primary peripheral nerve related diseases)

Fibromyalgia syndrome

Polymyalgia Rheumatica

Myofascial pain syndrome

Entrapment neuropathies/ Neuralgias

Certain inflammatory conditions/autoimmune connective tissue disorders

Certain infections (to explain the rise in white count)

Heavy metal toxicity etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you are having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these new symptoms. In this regard please try to see a Dr in the clinic, preferably a Neurologist, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by undergoing certain relevant neurological investigations too, such as some of the following;

MRI Scan of the brain

MRI Scan of the spine (whole spine including the cervical, thoracic and lumbosacral spine areas)

MRA (MR Angiogram)

Carotid Ultrasound

Echocardiogram of the heart

EKG/Holter monitor of the heart

Tilt Table Testing

Orthostatic hypotension clinical testing

EMG/Nerve conduction test (a nerve & muscle test)

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

CBC (Complete Blood Cell count) – repeat test to check the current status of white count

Serum iron (repeat), Ferritin, Total iron binding capacity

Blood sugar, GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test), HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) – (diabetes tests)

CPK, Aldolase, LDH (muscle enzyme tests)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1 & B2, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests)

ESR, CRP, ANA, dsDNA, Rheumatoid factor, SSA, SSB, Serum complement assay etc (autoimmune/inflammatory disorders tests)

Lyme antibodies, Mono, RPR etc (chronic infection related tests)

Heavy metal screening (tests to rule out heavy metal toxicity) etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the Neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case.

In the meantime you consider trying some of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from these new symptoms you are experiencing;

A) Certain General measures or Self-care measures such as the following;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid/water intake

Healthy, Nutritious & balanced diet

Daily exercises

Epson salt Compress

Epsom salt bath etc

B) Certain Specific treatments such as the following;

A course of physical therapy

One of the nerve pain pills such as Gabapentin or Pregabalin

One of the muscle relaxants such as Tizanidine or Baclofen etc

C) If the above do not help then some of the following additional treatments too may need to be considered;

Ultrasound therapy

Laser therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation) etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with your health condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

In addition to the above, you may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine)

Vitamin D

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the symptoms, and also assist with faster recovery too.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities as mentioned earlier above that can cause the type of new symptoms you have been having

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a Neurologist, followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the treatments mentioned above and these can help in providing relief from these symptoms, as well as help with faster recovery too

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a Neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed earlier above, for the best results.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)