Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I just had an Ultra Sound done on both of my legs. The

Customer Question
I just had an...

I just had an Ultra Sound done on both of my legs. The results emailed to me said that I have significant reflux in right and left common femoral veins and right and left greater saphenous veins. I'll see the specialist on Dec 22nd but would like a little knowledge so I will know what to ask. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I have been having more pain in my legs at night and have always had nervous legs and large veins. I've been negligent checking into this earlier. No swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have other health issues that the doctor has access to. Where do I start in my chat?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response within a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response and i did not send it, i will be back with your written answer in the next few mins. Thanks for your patience!

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now, this ultrasound basically shows that you have venous insufficiency in the legs. The presence of reflux basically means that the blood is not returning back up the legs to the heart in a manner that it should. Now what happens with venous insufficiency is that the valves which prevent the flow of blood in the opposite direction (towards the feet) are not functioning properly. This leads to the blood coming back down into the legs or rather pooling in the legs rather than going into the heart.

In your ultrasound, the two major vessels in the legs are affected. The femoral veins are the veins which are present in the thigh and take the majority of the blood from the legs into the major vessels in the abdomen and then up into the heart. The saphenous veins are the veins which are present in the lower legs (calves) and are responsible for the passage of blood from these areas up into the thigh. In your case, both of these veins (on both legs) are affected and this can lead to swelling in the legs, pain, discoloration of the legs in some cases and in severe untreated cases, the formation of ulcers in the legs.

Now while this would sound scary, it can be corrected in most cases by promoting the flow of blood in the right direction. The easiest method is to start wearing compression stockings which help in the flow of blood to the heart. In your case wearing stockings with a pressure gradient of 15-20 mmHg would be effective. Additionally, if this does not work then surgery can be done to correct this problem and the visible, swollen veins would disappear in most cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist