Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 2.5cm Intraventricular arachnoid cyst in occipital…

Customer Question
I have a 2.5cm...

I have a 2.5cm Intraventricular arachnoid cyst in occipital horn of right lateral ventricle. I am worried about it growing, I have read they are rare. Should I see a Specialist?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Sometimes I have headaches, more around the eye area and temples. Balance is not as good as it should be and I do have vertigo.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Most days I get a headache, it is not that painful but the ache is constant. Yes I do get nausea at times.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a lot of health issues including SLE (lupus) with most of the conditions that go with it, anti cardiolipins syndrome. Had 2 previous CVAs. I have 2 other brain conditions including empty sella

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/11/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how old are you?

66

has it only been seen recently?

had vertigo and had an MRI.
had vertigo and had MRI
Just a question can you tell me where is the occipital horn of the right lateral ventricle? Is it the front of the head, the back, the top, the right side or the left side?

It is in the back of the head at the bottom

the occipital area of the head is just above the back of the neck

is this helpful?

Can you give me as much information as you can. Why is it supposed to be rare? I am presuming 2.5cms (1 inch) is quite small?

Ok. This is likely nothing to worry about

these cysts are quite common

and it is quite small

That is not what I have read, arachnoid cysts are common but the area where it is, is not common for this type of cyst, am finding more information on the i/net. Am disappointed in not receiving much information about these types of cysts or whether should see a specialist ...
particularly after paying so much money for this service.