Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm not sure if this is the same doctor that's answering my…

Customer Question
I'm not sure if this...
I'm not sure if this is the same doctor that's answering my other questions but my doctor that passed away tried unsuccessfully to get me in with several Specialists to work with him. The ones who didn't decline called back after receiving my records said I was too messed up and they couldn't see me. My doctor told me and put it my records that it was going to be impossible to find doctor to take me because doctors didn't want me or anyone like me as a patient. He said even though I follow the letter of the law, go above and beyond trying to have a fraction of a life with my sons doctors didn't want anything to do with me because I have too many serious medical issues and it's hard to treat one with hurting something else because my case was so severe, detailed, and time consuming doctors would have to spend more time with me and on my case and I would be the patient that is there biggest liability. If he couldn't find me a doctor himself for several years how can the rural clinic he was partner in expect me to find doctor? And according to information I found because all of the doctors in the rural clinic operate as one they have to keep my treatments as is until they get me in with another doctor and they're not allowed to turn their back on me kick me out to die or cut my medications in half against my medical records. Where can I find this information on what they're required to do? I've done everything right and then some so how can they do this for no reason
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/8/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Your privacy agreement and patient agreement that you signed with them as well as your insurance documents will contain the wording that you are looking for regarding their due diligence in finding you a replacement clinician. However, you said that your doctor passed away, is that correct?

my doctor passed away but he was part of a Federally Funded Rural Health Clinic where all the doctors operate as one to cover patients and after he passed away I saw the current doctor which further established doctor patient relationship. The information that was sent to my nurse was that the doctors in the Rural clinic had to continue to provide the same services I was receiving until they got me into a doctor that would. I'm severely Disabled from numerous conditions including many Traumatic Brain Injuries and they told us we'd have to find new doctor. My nurse contacted hundreds of doctors giving them my information narrowed it down to 25 and gave them 15 with all their contact info. They said it may take awhile but they'd get to it when they could, but never contacted anyone. That was a month ago. I run out of medication today and at first he was just going to abandon me to die but then he said for me to come in but he was cutting my 14 medications in half. I guess to prolong my anxiety over the strokes and death. From what we were told the Rural Clinic could lose funding, be fined, suspensions and more. Is this accurate? Where can I find information somewhere else? I think it's discrimination to get rid of me. Like my old doctor said no doctor wants me as a patient because my conditions are too numerous and difficult and I'm a greater liability. Please help

As for the legality of the issue, your doctor has to perform only a reasonable amount of due diligence. So if they try to find other doctors in the area and other doctors aren't willing to take you on and your current doctor who took over your care doesn't feel that they can continue to see you then they are legally allowed to stop providing you with care. It's not your current doctor's responsibility to make sure that you have another doctor before terminating your care. As long as there are other doctors that you haven't yet explored they could potentially use that as a reason to terminate their relationship with you. However, like you said, it's less likely for them to want to do that because of risk of losing funding and investigations by the medical board.

Most doctors are unfortunately afraid of legal action because if anything bad happens to you then your case is complicated enough that they could risk losing their medical licenses and hence livelihood. It's a tough situation to be in. Have you tried reaching out to your insurance company to see what suggestions they have?

Please let me know if you still need help with this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise, please click the rating button when you get a chance.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

-Dr. Mo