Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have severe RLS for which Requip gave me augmentation and…

Customer Question
I have severe RLS...

I have severe RLS for which Requip gave me augmentation and a pulmonologist had me take clonazepam and oxycodone with minimal results and per MD I took it at night. Currently I use mmj which works quite well but I do not like the feeling with its use and when I tried stopping within a few days I had nightsweats and then I had the worst n/v and diarrhea I could imagine so my marijuana doctor said I went through. I started the mmj again when the symptoms returned. I know that a few MDs use methadone and Provigil I believe, a drug used for ADD. What do you reommend for treatment. Before the Requip and the mmj I was thinking about suicide one night because I went five nights with spasms in my legs, arms and entire body. Those spasms came once every minute and could not sleep. RLS has ruined my life. What is your advice?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling and the symptoms come both night and day. I cannot go to a movie, I timed a car ride and inn22 minutes I was spamming dramatically. I do have severe chf and stage 3 CHD.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

HTN, psoriasis, L5-S1 spondylolisthesis, Afib with 36 cardioversions, 2 R heart ablation, 2 L heart ablation, then an AV node ablation and a biventricular demand pacemaker.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/5/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
RLS is generally a treatable condition and it generally responds very well to medications. A variety of treatments have been studied in randomized, controlled trials; the major classes of drugs used include dopaminergic agents, alpha-2-delta calcium channel ligands, opioids, and benzodiazepine. Have you tried iron supplements?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!