Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was in a car accident (rear ended) in July 2017. Have been…

Customer Question
I was in a...

I was in a car accident (rear ended) in July 2017. Have been in physical therapy since August and was getting better then I started running again. While running My right hand/arm would go numb, therapist and doctor thought it was TOS. Then about 2-3 weeks later I ended up in the emergency room with chest/back pains and shortness of breath. ER doctor said the cartilage around my rib cage was inflamed and said it could be from the back issues I was having. I went to my PCP a few days later for a followup and he sent me for an MRI. My MRI showed left paracentral disc protrusion T1-2, Annular bulge C5-6 C6-7, and nonspecific reversal of lordosis. My PCP is saying this is nothing serious, but I wonder if I should see a specialist seeing that I have been on anti-inflammatories and physical therapy since August. Plus in my right arm I have some numbness off and on throughout the day/night.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Just the MVA in July. I have a lot of pain at night and pain & stiffness in the morning.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/5/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Anyone with neurological symptoms such as numbness or weakness with mri findings that may or may not be related to the neurological findings get a full neurosurgical evaluation. If it is not a surgical problem, then you should see a neurologist to get various testing such as emg to see if the nerve is being damaged from the mri findings.
I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!