Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Would a hypoplastic or absent left PCOM potentially cause…

Customer Question
Would a hypoplastic or...

Would a hypoplastic or absent left PCOM potentially cause reduced blood flow and result in constant headache in back of head? Would thickened blood worsen this?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Chronic, occasionally accompanied with nausea. Pain is usually in back of head, pain level normall 7-10. Nausea when pain is high

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The daily headache started 3 years ago after surgery for chiari malformation. Also has EDS, POTS, and Babesiosis. Only thing that has helped the headach has been cath-flo used to unclot a port. Suspect issue with thick blood due to Babesiosis and an infection in the blood

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/5/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have had these headaches.

an MRAngiogram would have seen an absent left posterior communicating artery. most likely this is not the cause.

sounds like the surgery for the chiari malformation didn't help.

how old are you?

have you tried medical marijuana or CBD oils to help decrease your headaches?

This is in regards ***** ***** son who is almost 17. He's been mostly bed bound since the chiari surgery 3 years ago. He has been improving recently thanks to IVIG. It's helping other neuro issues but not the headache. Yes, we have a card and he uses MMJ thankfully. It's the only thing that helps with the pain - but we're still trying to determine the root cause. He is not able to function and has missed 3 years of school.
Would an MRV show more than the MRA did?

I see.

no, an MR venogram would not show more than a MR Angiogram. surgery at the base of the skull and brain is a very sensitive area, many nerves there which can lead to headaches.

would thickened blood have shown up on the MRA? or does it mainly look at CSF flow?

thick blood doesn't really show up well

it can be treated with blood thinners like aspirin or plavix

or with medications like trental which can make blood vessels more flexible

why do you think thickened blood is the cause of his headaches?

babesia causes thickened blood and the only thing that's helped his headache (taken pain from a 9 to a 3 within min) was the use of cath flo, used in his port. This worked twice.
of course I can't find a neurologist or an ID dr willing to treat someone with Babesia or Lyme, so I'm left to figure this out myself. He has a port for hydration and for IVIG. He is being monitoried by a cardiologist and immunologist but we can't find a Neurologist willing to help.

you are jumping to too many conclusions here

just because a blood clot dissolving agent helped his headaches doesn't mean he has babesia infection.

a baby aspirin of 81mg can help thin his blood for a week. see if this will help him with his headaches.

treatment for lyme or babesia will not help him with his headaches.

his headaches most likely was caused by his surgery

Dr. David, Board Certified MD