Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

About 7 months ago I got BPPV but now I have chronic

Customer Question
Hello,About 7 months ago I...
Hello,About 7 months ago I got BPPV but now I have chronic dizziness/imbalance that waxes and wanes. I have never fallen but sometimes get a 2-3 second dizzy/rush sensation.In addition, I have developed 3 different kinds of tinnitus - a low constant ringing, a beeping and the most distressing, a rumbling which feels like a wind tunnel and vibrates my brain. My left ear also gets full sometimes and I have random popping. I have had the following tests:MRI of head normal
CT scan of head normal
Blood work including B12 and Vitamin D all normal , thyroid also normal (2)
X-ray of spine normal
Full balance testing (VEMP, Ecog, hearing, normal)I am concerned that this is not going away. What could cause a rumbling in the ears? Should i get an MRA? Angiography? To determine if there is some blood flow issue? My head feels like it may explode or something - like a car is running.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/5/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms

you could get an MR angiogram, but most likely it will be normal

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? severe anxiety can cause you to have dizziness and imbalance symptoms

you may benefit from treatment for anxiety symptoms

there are medications to help with dizziness like meclizine and antivert and dramamine.

the epley maneuver can help decrease dizziness from BPPV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLm76jQg3g

have you tried this?

I had a pre-existing anxiety condition (GAD) before I developed BPPV. There is never any nystagmus when i do the Epley or Dix-Hallpike so they say I don't have the crystals anymore. I just dont understand why I am dizzy still and get other symptoms like ear fullness. Can anxiety cause random, inconsistent ear fullness and the rumbling tinnitus?

bad anxiety symptoms can cause symptoms of dizziness and light headedness and unsteadiness.

yes, anxiety disorder canc ause random inconsistent ear fullness and rumbling tinnitus

you should get your ears checked for ear wax as well.

One neurologist wanted to rule out partial complex seizures because I have a "rising" sensation. But to me, this feels more like panic because of what's to come next. Or I am scared of it being menieres or Epilepsy after she told me. But sometimes, the dizziness does feel like an aura - the back of my head gets tight and I am very sensitive to my own head motion.What is the likihood of this being sezure activity? Also, do seizures leave you off balance 24/7?

yes your symptoms sound like panic attacks.

it sounds like zero chance it could be seizure activity.

your anxiety symptoms will cause you to be off balance and dizzy.