Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

At lower spine I have a disc bulge that is pushed into my…

Customer Question
At lower spine I have...
At lower spine I have a disc bulge that is pushed into my spinal cord as well, and the half of that disc that's in my fluid is very dark, what could it be/mean? And with all these disc bulges pushing on my spinal cord could it be causing the server pressure in my spine and brain with my Chiari malformationsince it was 4mm and now is 12.5mm , this is all from my last fall, I also have memory loss, swelling of hands and feet
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
I need to know if I run a high chance of being paralyzed if I bend, fall or lift heavy things? From what my new MRI's Chiari Malformation with tip of the cerebral tonsils extending 12.5 mm below the foramen magnum, Abutment of the adjacent cervical spinal cord, C3-4 2mm of retrolisthesis in supineposition, C4-5: mild loss of vertical disc height with 2mm of retrolisthesis and 3mm in AP dimension broad-based disc bulge, C5-6: Moderate loss of vertical disc height,broad-based subiligamentous disc herniation of 5mm in AP dimension prouting producing slight flattening of cervical spinal cord and grade 2 compression both C6 nerve roots, C7-T1: 2.5mm in AP dimension broad-based disc bulge,T1-2 and T2-3 broad-based subligamentous disc herniationa at both levels of approximately 4mm in AP dimension and producing abutment of the thoracic spinal cord, ( impression on spinal cord by broad-based subligamentous disc herniation at C5-6 and broad-based subligamentous disc herniation at T1-2 and T2-3) fracture disc, posterior annular disc bulges at T4-5 through T6-7 of up to 3mm in AP dimension without neural encroachment
12/5/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

thanks for posting your MIR scan findings.

the chance for paralysis is very very small.

fluid looks dark on T1 weighted images on MRI scan

fluid looks bright on T2 weighted images on MRI scan

so it depends on what MRI sequence you are using which can affect the color of fluid on MRI scan.

how old are you?

the disk bulge at C5-6 sounds like it needs to be addressed with either surgery or physical therapy or a steroid injection to help decrease inflammation.

you must be having neck pain and pain radiating down into both shoulders and arms.