Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a burning sensation in my upper back near my shoulder…

Customer Question
I have a burning...

I have a burning sensation in my upper back near my shoulder blade, I have been experiencing this for a couple months now. Just recently I have been shaking a lot and my hand is starting to get a numb feeling. I don’t know what this means

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

At least a month. Just shaking and a numb feeling in my left hand. (The pain is on my left shoulder)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take medication for heartburn and I have ended up in the hospital because of pains in my chest

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/4/2017
Neurologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This seems to be related to the nerves especially nerves exiting from back of your neck and supplying upper back arm and hands. Most common cause of these symptoms is compression of these nerves when they exit through small holes on both sides of your spine and compression can be due to either disc pressing on them or due to small bony spurs. I would recommend you to see a neurologist for thorough examination and an MRI of cervical spine to make and exact diagnosis and treatment accordingly.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!