Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am extremely worried about my right hip and need a answer…

Customer Question
I am extremely worried about...
I am extremely worried about my right hip and need a answer as soon as possible. I may be kicked out of the military for this and that's something I'm trying to avoid. I feel during a 12 mile hike with gear on and have been in pain for almost a month. I have had a XRAY and MRI; both have returned normal.
I have a painful pinching sensation in my groin and my hip makes an odd popping sound. I cannot sit, walk or run for long periods of time. The pain is sharp and shooting. At the end of the day, the front of my hip will be swollen and my groin is sensitive to touch.
The doctor doesn't really have an idea what's wrong and has told me to do research since I know my body best. The only things I have found are hip flexor strain, adductor strain, snapping hip syndrome and Femoroacetabular impingement. Which of these aree most likely and how to I express it to my doctor to get the help I need.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/4/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 8 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Sports hernia (athletic pubalgia)

2) Lumbosacral radiculopathy

3) Bursitis and tendonitis.

This may be overuse injury.

1) Return to previous activity level should be a very gradual process with initial period of rest of 2-3 weeks.

2) Exercises and physical therapy for improving muscle strength, flexibility, and endurance. Whole lower limb, pelvic floor and back stretching exercises and overall lower extremity flexibility exercises are important.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Wouldn't those medical issue be diagnosed via MRI?
Also how would I explain the correlation between my symptoms and those medical issues?

MRI of hip alone may not detect all these issues and there are different MRI protocols to diagnose them which should include groin, pelvic floor and lower back. In these protocols different magnetic fields are employed.

Also we need to understand despite MRI being normal; there is a problem. There is a limitation of MRI too, thus. So a clinical evaluation is based on the start of the issue which may have been acute, subacute or chronic. Accordingly a clinical diagnosis need to be based. Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to bone injury. So a combination of the joint, tendon, bursa, ligament, fascia, muscle injury may be considered.

While the diagnosis is on one side important but treatment on the other hand should be simultaneously initiated.

Also medical issues in an individual may not be copy book style and there are many overlapping syndromes. That need to be remembered.

You may also need a bone nuclear scan for the evaluation.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl