Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diagnosed wih Dysautonomia - and told there is…

Customer Question
I have been diagnosed...

I have been diagnosed wih Dysautonomia - and told there is no cure for it - is this true? It is affecting my balance and I can hardly walk besides mI have a lightheadedness most of the time

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a stroke to my eye in August

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Yes I had the eye checked about a month ago and go again Dec. 20 - the right eye is ok - the stroke eye I can see peripherial vision

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/3/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about this dysautonomia

you said you had a stoke in your eye.

did you have stroke injury to your brain? have you had a brain MRI scan with IV contrast?

did your dysautonomia symptoms after your stroke to your eye?

About 4 years ago an MRI showed I had had a stroke at one time - but never knew it - no stroke injury to brain that I know of - I have had this lightheadedness and imbalance for at least 4 years - with no diagnosis until July - stroke to eye was in August
Is there any cure for this - vitamins ??

I would see your doctor again and get another brain MRI scan.

if you had a stroke to your eye, you can have stroke injury to your brain

stroke injury to your brain could cause dysautonomia

you need to see a neurology doctor.

you may benefit from physical therapy

you may benefit from nerve damage medications like neurontin or lyrica to help

I have a neurologist that I go to and he is the one that diagnosed Dysautonomia - but said there is nothing that can be done - I was in the hospital and had all kinds of tests
What type of physical therapy?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD