Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a n accident 2 month back, i got cervical pulg disc in…

Customer Question
I had a n...

I had a n accident 2 month back, i got cervical pulg disc in c6 c7, i wear neck collar for 1 month, then from that time i recovered smoothely, i went back to my life style, but from 2 days i got numbness again with pain in both hands and neck pain, burning sensation in my neck
what i can do now?
is cold weather can be the reason or lefting heavy things

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

2 month back i got car accident

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear the neck and hand symptoms are coming back again. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

So there was initial improvement and now the symptoms are coming back again.

One of the most important things to look for at this moment is whether you are also having any new onset weakness in the arms or legs, or any new onset problems with the urinary bladder such as urgency or increased frequency, or incontinence etc

If you are having such new onset symptoms then please try to see a dr asap so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination, followed by relevant investigations such as MRI scan of the cervical spine, and a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc, and this can help in determining the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

If you are not having any new onset weakness or bladder symptoms as mentioned earlier above, then there is no need to see any dr now. Because if you are not having muscle weakness or bladder symptoms rather the only symptoms you are having are pain, burning sensation, and numbness etc then this does not appear anything serious in nature and like you too suspected it is possible this is related to cold weather or lifting weight etc and I will provide you with a list of treatments that could help with these symptoms & recovery.

The following are the various conservative treatment options that can be tried to help in these circumstances;

A) First of all what we need to do is protection from further injuries by avoiding various physical activities that can cause this type of injury again and/or exacerbate it, and the following physical activities need to be avoided as much as possible;

Avoiding excessive, especially strenuous physical activities that may burden the spine/neck area in the form of twisting or excessive bending the spine – especially bending at 90 degrees and sudden abrupt bending

Avoiding lifting heavy weights or heavy objects from the ground or floor, and carrying heavy weights or heavy objects

Avoiding pushing/pulling heavy weights or heavy objects

Avoiding overstretching the limbs and body to reach for something

Avoiding jogging or running especially long distance

Avoiding any wrong posture that can trigger the pain

Avoiding prolonged sitting and standing in the same position

Avoiding working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch, same for TV etc too

The above physical activities or situations need to be avoided as much as possible because all these can strain the neck further and also can exacerbate the pain, and possibly delay the healing too.

B) The following are the various General measures, and/or Home remedies, and/or OTC (Over the counter) treatments that can be tried to help with this condition;

Adequate resting till the inflammation in the cervical spine (neck area spine) heals

Using proper pillows during sleeping – for example using special pillows such as Contour pillow which conforms to the normal shape of the head & neck regions during sleeping

Cold therapy & Heat therapy in the form of using Cold compress or Hot compress. For the first couple of days cold therapy is supposed to be used, after that heat therapy can be introduced

Using a Spine Brace can help in minimizing the movements of the spine and can help in reducing the pain & help with faster recovery too

Gentle stretching exercises for the neck muscles can help in relieving the compression of the nerve roots, and help in reliving the muscle tension, and will make you feel better

Massaging the painful areas is also very useful

Using one of the over the counter oral anti-inflammatory Pain killers such as Paracetamol, or Naproxen, or Ibuprofen etc

Using one of the over the counter locally acting ointments, or sprays of anti-inflammatory pain killers (Muscle rubs) such as Myoflex or Biofreeze or Penetrex etc – or any equivalent preparations that are available locally

Using one of the over the counter pain relieving skin patches such as Aspercreme Lidocaine Patch Max Strength – or any equivalent preparations that are available locally

Using one of the over the counter essential oil rubs such as Eucalyptus oil, or Wintergreen oil

Using Epsom Salt Compress or Epsom Salt Bath can help too

C) If symptoms do not improve with the above therapeutic interventions then the following additional treatment measures can be considered;

Physical therapy

Stronger prescription anti-inflammatory painkillers like Tramadol

Nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin, or Amitriptyline

Muscle relaxants like Baclofen, or Tizanidine

Prescription patches like Diclofenac anti-inflammatory pain relieving skin patches, or Lignocaine anesthetic pain relieving skin patches

Steroid Iontophoresis

Hot fomentation

Short wave diathermy

Infra-red light therapy

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Interferential therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy)

Cervical Traction therapy

ESI (Epidural steroid injection) etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see if you are having new onset muscle weakness, and new onset bladder symptoms then try to see a dr asap, because we need to rule out the possibility of any new issues developing in the cervical spine, such as worsening disc problem and compressing the spinal cord etc, so you need a thorough neurological examination followed by an MRI scan of the cervical spine and an EMG/Nerve conduction study asap.

2) But if you are not having above mentioned new symptoms, rather pain, burning sensation and numbness etc are the only few symptoms you are having, then seeing the dr is not necessary now, rather you may try some of the above mentioned treatments and these can help with improving the symptoms you are having and also help you with rapid recovery from this condition too.

3) Please also see this type of health condition can be treated successfully, so please not to be scared, please follow the above mentioned precautions & treatment options and soon you are expected to make a full recovery.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)