Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have pain in my skull - it is NOT a routine headache. When…

Customer Question
I have pain in...

I have pain in my skull - it is NOT a routine headache. When I lay my head on either side, the ear touching the pillow feels as if it were sunburned. I have a scabby sore on my left ear. The skull pain range is 2 to 6. Less activity, less pain. When head (not face) comes in contact with anything; bed, pillow, back of couch, etc. the pain is immediately worse. I have had two injections put in the back of my skull with no relief; I recently had another injection put in my spine about shoulder blade level. No reliefe. One of my Doctors put me on Lyrica for three months with no relief, but my eyes were changing so fast, my eye doctor was afraid to make any changes as she felt the problem involved more than just my eyes. I have been seeking help for almost three years with no relief in sight.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

The headache is always present. I suppose the sleep aid I take lets me go to sleep for 3 to 5 hours. When I awaken, there is no going back to sleep. Never any nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I know cancer is not hereditary, but if it is in the family, the genes for it may be there. My Mother died of a brain tumor at the age of 87. One niece is alive, but suffered a large brain tumor in the area above the forehead. I had not given this a thought to my problem until a few weeks ago when a great-niece had two large brain tumors removed. That was done in Wisconsin where she lives, but she is currently a full time patient at St. Jude. My family has had many heart problems, but my heart doctor tests me regularly and says my heart is fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/2/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

can you upload a clear photo of this scabby sore on your left ear?

do you see the "Add file" link?

I am 81 years old. No picture available. I don't want to talk to an eye doctor. I would like to speak to a neurologist!

I am sorry you have this pain

your symptoms sound like they could be from a pinched nerve in your neck

have you had a brain and neck spine MRI scan with contrast to look for pinched nerves?