Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been to 2 eye doctors with very red eyes and a little…

Customer Question
I have been to...

I have been to 2 eye doctors with very red eyes and a little swollen and running. I also have pain in the back of my head into my hair line..like on both sides of the base of my neck..sore to touch. I have been using a nettie pot whcih has helped the head pain slightly. I believe I have a sphenoid sinus infection. What do you suggest for a home treatment. I really dont want to take antibiotics

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausa at all and the head pain is in the back when i lay down only

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Age 60..very healthy only on thyroid meds

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
12/2/2017
Neurologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

How long have you had these symptoms?

Did they start all of the sudden or did they come on gradually?

How bad are the symptoms (mild, moderate, severe)?

Is there anything you had done that have improved your symptoms?

Is there anything you have done that worsens your symptoms?

I have had red eyes for about 2 months..eye doctors did not help
pain is mild and only when i rub the spots on the back of my head
nettie pot seems to have helped the pain slightly

have you seen your primary care doctor or an ENT specialist yet?

NO..I do not have an ENT...what is your suggestion for home card

would continue netti pot (or use NeilMed nasal rinse) and would also take a daily probiotic which may also help with immune system.

If you have a lot of nasal congestion, then a mucolytic such as mucinex can be helpful.

Flonase, which is a nasal steroid spray is also available over the counter without a prescription.

You can also try an antihistamine like zrytec or claritin once a day.

However, most true splenoid sinus infections need antibiotics and in some cases surgery to prevent abscess formation or meningitis, so if you have worsening symptoms, I would strongly urge you to be re-evaluated.

Does that make sense?