Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My partner has had seizures about 4-6 days after flights. He…

Customer Question
My partner has had seizures...
My partner has had seizures about 4-6 days after flights. He normally suffers an acute pain on the plane descent, capturing the whole the left side of his head, and feels a lot of head pressure on the days that follow. This seems to build up until he has the seizure, after which he feels relieved, as if a load had been released from his head. He is normally prone to frequent migraines, some with headaches, and seizures are always preceded by a migraine (he still has a stuck migraine on the left side from a seizure that happened nearly 2 years ago, leaving him bed bound with a strong headache for a whole week). Other than this, some of his migraines are associated with food intolerances and other times not associated with food: the these are preceded by a stomach gurgling - we found out that the occurrence of this type of migraines can be stopped by stimulating the vagus nerve (taking some probiotics and pressuring some acupuncture points). His mother used to have the same gurgles and he has inherited Marfan syndrome from her (to a light degree). His mother had also trouble with at least a flight - a varicose vein ruptured with a seizure. In addition, he's had a TIA (mini-stroke) for the first time a few days ago. The MRI showed the lesion on the left side of his brain. Previous MRI (taken a couple of months ago but months after the last seizure), didn't seem to show anything. EEG, ECG and dopler normal as well. Heart test showed a very small hole in his heart.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your partner.

it sounds like migraine headaches are leading to seizure activity

he may have to take migraine medications like topamax or maxalt to prevent and head off a migraine headache to prevent seizure activity.

medications like sumatriptan can help prevent worsening migraine headaches.

Hello, we are looking for the underlying cause, not painkillers. Would you be able to help?

migraine headache medications are not pain killers

it sounds like the atmospheric pressure changes from a flight can affect your partners brain and cause worse headaches and seizures after a flight.

it could be one of many triggers for their migraine headaches.

which when bad enough can cause seizures in some patients.

https://www.healthline.com/health/migraine/migraine-and-seizure#2

Any suggested correlation with the mini-stroke? Flight descent pain? Stuck migraine? And all on the left hemisphere? Any thoughts about vagus nerve or correlation with Marfan?
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)