Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am suffering from shingles ontop of needing back surgery…

Customer Question
Hi I am suffering...

Hi I am suffering from shingles ontop of needing back surgery but new doctors will not prescribe anytype of pain med due to the epidemic in ohio

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

With the shingles it is moving my hip at all, it starts in the middle of my back and goes around the side. with the L4 and L5 it hurts to stand or sit for long

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a history of blood clots and take blood thinners

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry you are suffering from both shingles and back pain. The is a non-narcotic medication that your doctor can prescribe called Gabapentin. Also, another medication called Valtrex will also be beneficial in drying the Shingles lesions. These medications will help relieve the nerve pain and will not interfere with your blood thinner. You can also take Tylenol which with the Gabapentin, will further help reduce your pain. You must be careful with any medications you take so they do not interfere with your blood thinner.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

How are you feeling?