Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My brother had seizures this morning at 3 am. After that we…

Customer Question
Hello pearl , My...

Hello pearl , My brother had seizures this morning at 3 am

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

After that we went to Er.. around 5: 40 am he vomit blood and food

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

He is doing good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Currently they are in icu not sure.. when he will wakeup

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

How old is he and has he ever had a seizure before?

How long did the seizure take?

Is he on any medications?

29 years old.. I am not sure he woke up us around 3 am.. Yeah he is on medication for seizure since 4years

Thank you for that information.

Please let me know what questions you have and I'm happy to help you with it.

He did a big vomit around 5:30 am after that he is air vent for breathing. ALL THE TEST ARE NORMAL NOT SURE WHY HE is not talking? But he is moving this body

Usually he will be sedated by the doctors and he may not have gotten enough oxygen when he vomited. This can cause a shock to the body. Most often this is temporary and after he has had some time to recover he will go back to normal. It might be that his body needs a few days to recover from the seizure attack and the vomiting episode.

Did you see any time before.. people who had seizures have blood vomitings? How to avoid gettings seizures.. is there any diet we need to take care? They are saying g everything is normal .. They are saying it's not even seizures what caused the blood vomiting it's still mystery to us.. initially when he got the seizures at the age is 29 he got parllalized left hand and let. Now he is fine but he is so weak after the blood vomiting. We are curious what happened to his body when all the everything(organs)tests are normal.they are not telling anything Neuro surgeons also visited and saw the reports.
Blood vomiting could be because of intestinal bleeding or if he bit his tongue but that would be obvious from an exam. If he didn’t have a seizure then is it possible that he had any liver issues? Damage to the liver can cause intestinal bleeding and vomiting blood.
You asked how to avoid seizures, there isn’t a specific diet though the Ketogenic diet may help but mostly it’s finding the right medication combination that prevents seizures.
His liver is also fine.. He ate shrimp and subway in the night before blood vomiting.
Every time do we need to take him to hospital when he gets seizures. Is their any way we can avoid it? Is it a life threating condition.. if we do not take to hospital immediately? Are there any regular check ups help us detect before getting seizours

Having a seizure isn't life threatening. However, if he is on the right medication then he shouldn't be getting too many breakthrough seizures. If he does have a seizure and it lasts less than 2 minutes then he is okay to stay home and rest. However, it appears that this condition was more serious since we still don't know the cause of the bleeding.

He got the seizures again yesterday night at 10 pm now they gave him the seizours medication. He is responding to the messages but very weak. They mentioned it will take 68 hours to get normal.

That's good that he is improving. Yes, the medication should help prevent future seizures.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'm happy to answer them.

Today they took mri and they said blood vomiting caused due to brian stroke.. He is still in hospital.. what are the precautions do we need to take care? Is it ok with his health if he is on right medication? Donot know why it caused in the age of 30's
I think at this point that’s hard to answer until they do further blood tests and MRIs to see what caused the stroke. Without that it’s hard to make a recommendations. Certainly he might need to have his medications changed.
We are so worried .. How is his health going to be? He will be ok right if we gets the right medication?
It’s hard to say. It depends on the extent of the stroke. He is young so hopefully he will recover quite well.
He is talking and eating but not sure if he gets the stoke again or not.. can we avoid strokes with the medication for future.
What are effects of these strokes in daily life?
Medications can avoid future strokes if the cause is determined. Right now we don’t know the cause and that needs to be investigated. Once we know the cause we can figure out ways to avoid it.
As for the effects it depends on the extent of the neurological exam.
At this point it might be best to let the neurologist team make the best decisions for him. Hopefully the cause can be identified and any future strokes and seizures prevented.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can address for you.